Monday, March 2, 2009

Adventures in Babysitting, If By "Babysitting" You Mean Lazy Parenting

*VACANT STARE*

You guys, I am completely worthless today. I mean, utterly devoid of worth. Blerg. Paper, paper, everywhere, and not a drop to drink. Or however that goes. MOVING ON.

So, this weekend I got to watch NotDate's daughter while he played in a golf/drinking tournament (GOLF! SNORT! Although I do love a hottie in a sweater vest and SO DO YOU, DON'T EVEN LIE).

Anyway, I am here to tell all of you parents of singletons that you must rush right out immediately and procure yourself an additional child, preferably one who has conveniently passed that pesky birth-to-age-four stage in the care of someone ELSE.

Whereas Ava typically fills her weekends by following me around, making various impossible requests and perfecting her "Mommy! Mommy! MOMMY!" soundtrack, this weekend? She followed NotDaughter around instead!

It was...MADNESS! Why didn't anyone TELL me to register for a six-year-old when I had my baby shower? Screw Bumbo seats and Baby Einstein DVDs. I am just two or three kindergartners* away from spending my weekends in the hot tub, drinking mimosas. I should probably sign up for Match.com or something. Um. Not to find KINDERGARTNERS, for GUYS with...oh dear. Nevermind.

********
If I may turn awkwardly away from that mess up there for a moment, do any of you use Rhapsody? I'm thinking of trying it to stream music at work. Is there something FREE that is better?

*Man, was I not even CLOSE on spelling that. T? Really? That reminds me of "garters", which incidentally I hate, but not as much as I hate having to use them as a visual spelling device in relation to six-year-olds. (You: oh, but that whole Match.com thing was okay?).

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I use pandora.com You can tell it songs or artists you like and it plays similar songs. You can give songs you hate a thumbs down so you don't have to hear them again. Likewise you can thumbs up if you like a song, and they'll play more songs like that. It's a good way to find new/different songs.

S said...

I use rhapsody but mainly b/c I can use it with my mp3 player and not have to constantly buy new songs. Which totally rocks. However, I know nothing about other music servers so it's entirely possible there is a better free site. :-)

Anonymous said...

I always found Pandora good for free music. At least, the jazz and classical is pretty good.

I love tossing my toddler in with a slightly older girl. It depends partly on the girl, but yes, about 6 or 7 years old is perfect, because they will both love each other. If the older kid is slightly younger, she'll want nothing to do with an even younger kid, and older than 8 = no way she's interacting with a toddler.

Tilly said...

Pandora, Pandora, Pandora.

That is all.

Actually there's more--I've never actually tried Rhapsody, so maybe I'm just a Pandora snob...if that's even possible.

DEWAI.

Marie Green said...

I have an extra child in my house RIGHT now that I begged off his mother. See? His mom was not up for going to our mommy/daddy and me class today, but then I had the brilliant idea of picking up her son, taking him to class, and then stealing him until after lunch. I have been sitting on my laptop for 45 minutes without getting up ONE TIME.

Two kids is almost always easier than one.... and I'm glad someone other than the MOTHER OF TWINS has discovered the same. ;)

(For the record: 2 BABIES is NOT easier than 1. The first two years of twins SUCKS, but then you are golden.)

(You might want to specify that on your Match add. AGE that is...)

Becky said...

I'm adding to the Pandora suggestion. But be careful what you thumbs up. I somehow ended up with a station that played ALL old country tunes (like holder than Hank Williams and Johnny Cash). Which is OK if that's what you want, but it wasn't what I was going for. But as long as you are careful that way, Pandora is great. And free. We all like free!

Jess said...

We use and love Rhapsody. I haven't found anything free that's better. Rhapsody is awesome. The interface can be a little awkward but it is awesome that you can listen to anything you want whenever you want. We have playlists, channels, the works. We listen to it on our computers while working, on our wireless internet radio player while hanging out, and on Torsten's MP3 player that he got specifically because it plays Rhapsody (and it was only like $75). When we thought we were going to be on one income for awhile, we canceled all our subscriptions except that one, because we love it.

Unknown said...

I love Rhapsody and have subscribed for over a year. I love Pandora, too, but I'm a pain in the ass when it comes to music and prefer to not just listen to whatever random song it chooses...but to listen to a specific series of songs based on my mood at that particular moment.

It's also good for loading up my compatible mp3 player so I can listen while exercising or driving. Which, technically I could do with pandora now, too, but then we come into the specific song issue again.

Nowheymama said...

My neighbors and I trade kids all the time so we can get things done. It's great.

Mary O said...

You're watching his daughter? Sounds serious!

3carnations said...

Watching his daughter? Wow. Not date. Yeah, right. :)

I would like another child, but I want my son to be the big brother, so I would actually like a two and a half year old :-) .

Anonymous said...

First of all, as soon as I'm done being pregnant I plan to figure out how to get involved in a golf/drinking tournament - sure I suck at golf, but after a few drinks, no one cares!

Also my son will be 6.5 when my second child is born and you have given me hope that nature hasn't totally screwed me over with the spacing of my kids!

Amanda said...

Great observation but I'm fairly certain that this only works with non-siblings. Right?

Aggie99 said...

Now I'm sining the "Baby Sitting Blues" in my head...LOVE that movie!

And yes, a hottie in a golf sweater is a good thing! See, you CAN find something to like about golf. :)

Sarah said...

I completely agree about having an older kid around. I am so excited today because my friend's eleven year old daughter will be here today and I can lay back and finish my book, as I am sickly and pathetic.
Also, I think Rhapsody is great. I especially like the channels option, so you can just select, say, "whiny self-indulgent emo that aspires to be punk" (which is my my own specially created blend) and hear all your faves of whatever genre you're craving.

Katie said...

I routinely call up my friends and beg them to bring their kids over. Then, I lock them all on the basement and ignore them until I hear someone screaming. It rules.

Cara said...

Pandora is good, as is Last.fm. If you want more control over what you listen to, you can build playlists at MySpace Music (music.myspace.com) - as many playlists as you want, up to 100 songs on each playlist. And the songs stream in their entirety, for free.
You can also see what playlists your friends have created, and add those songs to your playlist.
You can popout the player so you dont have to keep your browser on myspace.
This is all assuming your company allows you to go to myspace, of course.

Christina Schmidt said...

As others have said, Pandora is the best. Never used the other site myself but I love Pandora!

April said...

Also works: get one younger than your child... Your kid will end up taking care of THAT kid and it also frees your time up to make blog posts, play on Facebook, or PEE IN PEACE. Gah. Seriously, we love when our nephew is in town because our only child, The Princess, becomes self-sufficient and entertains herself AND another child.

Gretchen said...

Slacker.com has a free version that's pretty good and a subscription version. You can skip songs, mark favorites, ban songs and artists, and create custom stations with your favorite artists. You get a few short ads now and then. With the subscription version you can build a library and you don't get any ads, but that's all I know because I only use the free version.

Mandy said...

I dont care what you people say, two cannot possibly be better ... in my mind the ONLY thing better than one would be ....well, none ... yes, I said that out loud.

anyway, what does NotDate's daughter call you and what does RealDaughter call NotDate? just curious really;)

Shelly said...

Heh. Hell yeah an older child comes in handy. My daughter gets annoyed at how much we ask her to watch her brother.

Kelsey said...

The best is finding a 10-12 year old who wants to be a "mother's helper" to gain some babysitting experience and will think it is fun to come and "help" with your kid(s) for free!