Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Three Things: Updates!

1) Several of you asked how in the sam hell I am able to get myself AND a toddler out the door so quickly in the mornings. The answer can be summed up in two words: Flintstones vitamins. Ava will do pretty much anything for a Flintstones vitamin, including get dressed and get her hair combed, which are the only two things I really care about accomplishing before we leave the house.

As always, the key to my raging "success" at parenting is Not Caring About Certain Shit. Examples of shit I do not care about: what she wears (within reason), whether or not she eats. That second one is making some of you squirmy, isn't it? Heh. I don't know why I seem to be the only mother on the planet who is not obsessed with making my kid eat. Actually, I DO know why, but it has to do with The Policy and my rather unsavory opinions on meal-skipping, so we'll save that for another, more rant-y day.

2) Facebook. I now have more friends than my ex-boyfriend's wife. VICTORY IS MINE. I can pretty much die now. Also, does anyone else HATE HATE HATE the new Facebook homepage format? Do I REALLY need to be made aware, in the form of a kicky graphic taking up half the page, EACH AND EVERY TIME cousin Bertha sends a virtual cookie to one of her similarly housebound and therefore dangerously Facebook-addicted friends? Here is what I want: to be able to rank my FB friends based on some type of custom Annoyance Scale (COLD!). THEN, I would like to filter my homepage (slash LIFE) so that I would only be subjected to the goings-on of, say, the least annoying 25%. GENIUS.

Um. NICE MOOD TESS. Anyway. Fun fact: NotDate is one of my FB friends! HAHA! Man, was that the best idea of my LIFE, or WHAT?

3) Speaking of NotDate, I'm still working on emailing all of you who wanted to know The Reason, which I have dramatically oversold, I'm afraid. Anyway, I have, uh, a STICKY NOTE (#1 organization method of slackers everywhere) with all of your names on it, and I left it at home, where the dogs have likely had their way with it by now, and...whatever. The details of my incompetence do not interest you.

28 comments:

Aggie99 said...

Someone could probably use Flintstones vitamins to bride me to do things too. One of the MANY things about childhood I miss. The hubby was seriously considering buying some the other day (for him, not me). But when he found some adult chewable vitamins, he decided to be a grown up. :)

Congrats on your FB victory. And I'm glad you could do it without my help. Heh!

stephanie said...

Ooooh I wanna know The Reason!!!

Anonymous said...

Me too!
kkobreek@A Hole Hell. Com

this is KTMR btw
formerly of Plain-Jane,
Kathy The Millionth Reader fame. heh.

Tess said...

KATHY! Yay! I really think you should comment as Kathy The Millionth Reader here. Heh.

I shall start a NEW sticky note, for all of you stragglers.

Tess said...

Oh and Aggie: I took Flinstones vitamins (at the recommendation of my OB) when I was pregnant and feeling too barfy to take the prenatals. True story.

Aggie99 said...

Sweet! So there's something to add to the "pro" list for getting pregnant. :)

Anonymous said...

I started taking (Target brand) Flintstone vitamins when I was pregnant, and I'm still taking them. I'm a dork.

You actually can designate some FB friends as ones you want to see updates on and others as ones you don't want to see updates on. I don't remember how I did that, but I think it was under the Settings tab or whatever that tab is where you can set your privacy controls.

Moderndayhermit said...

Count me as another mother who doesn't wig out of the kid eats. Sometimes he'll eat a ton of food, sometimes he doesn't. The way I figure his body is just responding to his growth cycle. *shrug*

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip on getting a toddler out of the house so quickly. Not sure if H is old enough yet, but will store that tidbit for later use. DEFINITELY! Oh, yes, I too HATE HATE HATE the new FB homepage. What were they thinking?!

Nowheymama said...

Add me to the Post-It, please!
sarahatf AT zoominternet DOT net

Anonymous said...

Awesome, mine will do anything to get a gummy vitamin...sadly, not Flintstones.

the new girl said...

1. I ate gummy vitamins when I was pg the first time and was WICKED BARFY.

2. I want to be added to a list somewhere so that you send me confidential information, although wouldn't it be easier to publish/delete it in a short window than to email all of us crazies who are dying to know your business?

3. I also refuse to stress about whether or not my kid eats. The very, very LAST thing I want to deal with is a control issue around FOOD and EATING. GAH. She'll eat when she's hungry has been my theory thus far.

Jess said...

My name has BETTER be on that sticky note, is all I'm saying.

OK, that's not all I'm saying. I'm also saying that your child will not starve herself to death. If she's hungry enough, she'll eat. I am with you on the not worrying about it.

Type (little) a aka Michele said...

You can filter FB friends. i filtered all the assholes who set their twitter tweets as their FB statuses. BORING. I hate the endless links.

I was in Stop and Shop today (TAX SEASON FAIL) and saw the batter blaster. Which I now think as the Organic Ass Raping thanks to you.

Melospiza said...

I never stress about what my preschooler eats in the morning (or ever) either. They feed her bloody enough at school, what with the snacks and the lunch and the more snacks. I wish I had her preschool's kitchen tending to ME during the day, is what I'm saying.

My big kid, though...I am managing to develop into kind of a control freak here. I'm not sure how that happened (other than parenting FAIL). But he has managed to prove over and over that he will go without food/ peeing/ sleep/ etc to the point where he spazzes the hell out. So I do a sort of pre-emptive spazz out to balance things out, I guess. GOD.

Anonymous said...

OMG, Facebook. I totally agree. I have done the categorized "Friends Lists" thing, but now, I'd like to make another "non-annoying Friends" list and ONLY see the shit THEY're doing. Today? One of my (work) FB friends posted like 10 videos, of various Irish artists, for St. Patrick's Day. One? Okay. Ten? I do not need to know. GAAAH

Alice said...

ok i *WAS* going to be all "psh! i will not ask The Reason, because it is not my business" but now OMG I WILL BE THE ONLY ONE who doesn't know, so, uh, please add me. because i am a SHEEP.

Kelsey said...

1. The new facebook thing is annoying.

2. I tend not to stress about my kids' eating either, at least not quantity wise, we're dealing with intense food allergies, so I have to stress about that. My brother ate nothing by sugar cereal and the occasional hot dog for the first fifteen years of his life (I only exaggerate slightly) and is a perfectly well-adjusted, college educated, employed, healthy, adult. I rest my case.

3. The power of the sticky note should not be underrated... and I hope I'm on one of them!

Chez Bacon said...

You totally CAN filter your facebook feed-thingy. The new fb layout is now my BFF because of this feature.
'cept now, my MIL keeps asking DID YOU SEE THAT THING I POSTED ON FACEBOOK and guess who didn't make my stone-cold filter cut?
It's not my fault, she keeps finding quizzes like "What Jimmy Buffet song are you????" (a: the silent one) and the like and sends them to me 324231 times/day.

Erin said...

I am totally on board with #2!

Shelly said...

Chez Bacon - love your Buffett song. Coincidentally, I think I'm the same one!

And we don't stress over the kids eating either. They eat when they want to, but we don't force food on them or have set mealtimes. When they say they are hungry, we feed them. But we don't really mention "breakfast" "lunch" or "dinner". We just eat whenever.

Mary O said...

I'm a total straggler... add me to your sticky note, if you please. Not sure if it comes up, but my email is mimiallme26@gmail.com.

I am also impressed with your speedy out-the-door time.

Melissa said...

I am totally hating on the new FB - I couldnt even figure out the last one. I was JUST getting it used to it and BAM!

lex said...

new FB sucks.

i am so glad to hear that other people don't stress about the eating thing with their kids. my in-laws love to praise the nephew for his jesus-like accomplishment of sitting at the table and eating. and insist on asking me why my child can't sit there like that.

i don't care. he lives on milk, peanut butter, and flinstones, and it's fine by me. i'm totally with you on The Policy.

Anonymous said...

I need in on the sticky. Please.

butercupsblog (at) gmail (dot) com

In the meanwhile, shall scroll through FB friends and try and figure out which one is NotDate :)

SLynnRo said...

I used to take Flintstone's vitamins until I discovered Gummi Rhino Vitamins at Whole Foods. THEY'RE GUMMI!

Anonymous said...

I would LOVE to comment as KTMR but I have issues signing in as anything other than anonymous because I have forgotten the myriad of aliases, nicknames, passwords I used to have with blogger. I am fairly certain I was crazydoglady on here but it won't take any of my creds.

What's a girl to do. SO I will be anonymous and just SAY in the context that it is KTMR unless my brain opens up that file drawer. I am not counting on it though.

I wish my mom had that POLICY when I was growing up. Raised by depression era folks, food was literally crammed down our throats and we were taught to never ever throw it away. I can't blame them for the overweightness I am now, however, the angst I feel while scraping food into the trash is horrendous and something I still deal with on a daily basis. Even if I am full, I hoard it into the little leftover bowls in the fridge, knowing full well it will set there until something grows on it and I eventually toss it. Bizarre, I know.

Your POLICY is so much healthier. As the mom of 2 I know kids will eat when they are hungry and I just kept an array of semi-healthy things around for them to graze on (i.e. string cheese, baby carrots, yogurt, rice cakes in addition to the occasional home baked cookies and other treats so they don't feel like they are being brought up to believe carob is the real deal. Both of them are adults (well, one 17 year old) and neither have my weighty issues, so it must work.

-KTMR

Anonymous said...

we do the exact same thing re: bribery of the 2 year old. Except our child crack of choice is videos. "You want a video? Come on buddy!" etc.

finally caught up with you darlin', after being dead for 4 weeks. ... and now I will commence my blog stalking so that once SYTYCD starts again this summer we can SQUEE! and OMG! for 12 straight weeks.