Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Ghetto Recipes: Appetizer Edition!

So, it has come to my attention that I have a lot of Ghetto Recipes in regular rotation. I was made aware of this fact as I was perusing my "cookbook" (MS Word file of recipes)(speaking of GHETTO), thinking to myself, "GodDAMN, that is a lot of Velveeta/SPAM/Cream of Bland Vegetable soup!"

Well, anyway. I am fresh out of kicky ways to apply lipstick to the pig that is this incredibly lame topic. If you are into heavily processed foods, and WHO ISN'T, you are in for a real treat.

Let's start with some apperitifs, shall we?

Ghetto Shrimp Dip

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
3 Tbsp. ketchup
3 Tbsp. Miracle Whip (OMG)
2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
8 oz. can (CAN!) shrimp, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup chopped onions

Whip together. Serve with crackers.


Ghetto Crunchies

1 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup crushed potato chips (go nuts! use FLAVORED!)
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 tsp. ground mustard

Combine and shape into small balls. Place on ungreased baking sheet and flatten slightly. Bake at 375 for 5-8 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.


Ghetto Bean Dip

1 can refried beans
1 small jar cheez whiz
1 cup sour cream
1 packet ranch dressing mix

Melt all together in a small pan or crock pot. Serve with chips.


This One's Just Ghetto All Around

10 slices white bread, crusts cut off
16 oz. jar cheez whiz
5 oz. jar green olives, chopped
1 lb. sliced bacon, cut in half

Preheat broiler. Cut bread into thirds. Spread each third with cheese and sprinkle with olives. Roll thirds jelly-roll style and wrap each with a half-strip of bacon, securing with a toothpick. Arrange in a single layer on baking sheet. Broil, checking frequently, until bacon is brown and crispy, about 5 min.

19 comments:

Nowheymama said...

These are hypnotizing me with their EVIL. Must...go...buy...cheez whiz....

Anonymous said...

I swear my in-laws make that shrimp dip every Christmas. And then they leave it on the counter all night and try to serve it again the next day. Ugh.

The thing I like about your recipes is that they have very few ingredients. I never make anything that has more than 4 or 5 ingredients because I am lazy (and possibly ghetto).

Sarah said...

The CRUNCHIES... Those just sound like pure saturated fat right there. In other words, delish.

Anonymous said...

I LURVE your ghetto recipes.....

Michelle Smiles said...

Adding butter AND cheese to potato chips? That is a new level of awesomeness.

stephanie said...

Just when I think I can't POSSIBLY love you more...

stephanie said...

PS, have I MENTIONED that my latest pregnancy craving is FRIED BOLOGNA SANDWICHES (with american cheese and yellow mustard on white bread)?!?!!?

Talk about ghetto!

Cannot.
Get.
Enough.

Moderndayhermit said...

LOL, you fuckin' kill me.

Aggie99 said...

Wow...just wow...I am so intrigued by the ghetto crunchies and bean dip! You need to have an appetizer/booze party ASAP!

Shelly said...

These recipes remind me of the salsa and cheese sandwiches we made in college. White bread, American cheese, and salsa. Then toast in sandwich maker. Yum-O. And I think I might try that bean dip recipe this weekend.

Anonymous said...

I am SO hauling out everyone of those recipes next time we have a Superbowl party. Salty, easily made, processed food and sports are a beautiful pair!

the new girl said...

Dude.

Just. Hold ON.

ZZZZOOOOMMMMFFFFGGGG.

You seriously KILL me.

When I worked at the hospital, we called these kind of recipes Go0d H0usekeeping recipes. The nurses would cut them out to make for later. Invariably, they each had one (or more) of these ingredients:
cream soup
miracle whip
cheeze whiz/velveeta
ritz crackers
Cool Whip
packet of ranch/italian dressing
Those french-fried onion thingies.

You need 1) Pictures 2) Directions and 3) You'll be JUST LIKE THE PIONEER *COOKS* WOMAN.

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe I am stopping at the store after work tonight to buy potato chips. Haven't had those in the house in ages, but there will be several teenage boys here for some televised sporting event soon and that just screams to them (I'm thinking). At least it won't be those little cocktail sausages that one kid's mom hauls out and no one eats(I hear they are good for sexual innuendo jokes that teenage boys are fond of). I will also add to the mystery by not revealing the ingredients of the Ghetto Crunchies and see if they can guess. Thanks. I was running out of ideas and I want to impress them by not just tossing a bag of pretzels at them.
-KTMR

KTMR said...

Testing my new id!
Let's see if this thing works.

-KTMR

Anonymous said...

Woah.

The only thing I can come up with to say right now is this - I have never had Cheez Whiz in my life. I don't even know if Oregon grocery stores carry it. Am I missing out?

Tess said...

Another Tess! Yay!

Um, Oregon, that's in...AMERICA, right? Well, if you can't find cheez whiz, you could always substitute Velveeta, or that spray "cheez" in the can. Heh.

Anonymous said...

Oh my god, these are so AWESOME. Awesome!! My husband will be particularly into the Ghetto Bacon Wraps. Except that he hates olives. Hmmm. Maybe salsa?

Lee said...

Are you SERIOUS with the bacon wraps? White Bread?! BWAHAHAHAA. That's awesome.

Totally making these. My family will DIE of LOVE.

Anonymous said...

Well, you've gone and ruined bacon now for me. Congrats. Hope you're happy with yourself.

Bacon + green olives = what the HELL, man???