
Chowdah rating: 4.5 out of 5. Typically a 5 in my book, but in the interest of collecting a proper sample, I didn't partake of the breadbowl. The things I am willing to do. FOR SCIENCE. Also, I hadn't started drinking yet, so self-control was at its apex. Downhill from here, OBV. (Important experiment footnote: I did add one (1) pkg. of crushed oyster crackers to each bowl)
Next up: The Union Oyster House, which (fun fact!) is reportedly America's oldest continuously operating restaurant! They are really milking that shit too. I dunno. It DID look pretty old, I'll give it that. I had to lay off my fact-checker, so don't get all fussy on me! Near(ish) Faneuil Hall. 
Stop #3: Boston Beer Works, near Fenway Park. Clearly, we are shifting our focus JUUST a leetle toward the beer here. Whatever. Back off.
Chowdah rating: 3.5 out of 5. The chowdah had HUGE chunks of potatoes, with the SKINS ON, which I do not generally approve of. Still really good though. Unearned bonus points for a Blueberry Ale I had with ACTUAL BLUEBERRIES floating in it. So awesome. It was like drinking out of a lava lamp.
Stop #4: Coolidge Corner Clubhouse. Coolidge Corner neighborhood in Brookline. What do you MEAN this picture looks straight off of the website, and not as if I took it with the BatPhone? Oh shut up. I was on like my fifth beer. I FORGOT OKAY? You're lucky I made it this far!
Chowdah rating: 4 out of 5. They have a GIGANTIC menu, which is not usually a good sign, but the chowdah was WAY better than I expected. That's not just the beer talking! I think!
My hotel was near Coolidge Corner, so I just stumbled on back after that. You guys, the ONLY thing(s) I had to eat and drink on Friday were beer and chowdah! TRUE STORY! It was just as disgusting-slash-awesome as it sounds.

26 comments:
I've been to the Union Oyster House, but I did not have the chowder. Which I now regret, OBVI.
I don't like blueberries, but I'm VERY intrigued by the blueberry ale. Sounds like an awesome day and when I someday visit Boston, I will refer back to your ratings!
Excellent tour! Can't wait to hear more about the Boston trip.
you should forward this to food network ...they could make new show with you as the host going to different towns and sampling the SAME food many times in ONE day ... :)
If you liked the blueberry ale you would probably like Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat. It tastes like blueberries/Fruity Pebbles and I lurve it!
Mmmmmmm.....chowdah. I love the chowdah!
And I've always wondered what drinking from a lava lamp would taste like. Thanks for doing the research!
I've had the blueberry ale with the blueberries floating in it and to be honest, things floating in my beer weirds me out. BUT, I am pro-chowdah, so we come out ahead here.
This so makes me want to take a trip to Boston. (Methinks flights are on sale...) Maybe you could work for the tourism department? I am only joking a little... :D
Yum. Yum yum yum. The first time I ever ate mussels was at Union Oyster House and I have never liked them ANYWHERE else. That place is Goooood.
I wish I could tag along on your vacations. Random T stops for beer slash any food equals Maximum Awesomeness.
It is official: I have a little crush on you.
Wow, I so thought the cowdah obsession was kind of a joke. Nope! And now I am craving a beer.
i definitely want a bowl of chowdah right now. considering i just ate my weight in tex-mex for lunch, that's saying something.
lol at drinking out of a lava lamp.
You didn't puke from all that chowda? I mean, I like chowda, but YIKES.
Dang, I spelled chowda wrong. No excuse - I'm an English teacher AND I live in CT. LAME.
Heh. Well, I didn't like DRAIN each bowl, or anything. It was more of a SAMPLING.
So! Is Boston Chowdah the red stuff or the creamy white stuff? Can we still be friends despite the fact I had to ask that question?
I have, um, never had chowdah. Clearly I am missing out and need to plan a trip to Boston in short order. Thanks for doing the research for me!
I am intrigued by the blueberry ale. That sounds quite excellent!!
Tess,
This was hilarious despite the fact that:
a) I don't like chowder, at all
and
b) Beer should not have anything floating in it (that part made me throw up in my mouth a little).
I hope we can still be friends.
I love your 'Tour d'CHOWDAH'. And I also love a good, Boston Blueberry Ale. Last year, my boyfriend and I visited Boston during the Boston Marathon. We kept saying to one another, 'Wow. Everyone in Boston is SO fit'. And like two COMPLETE dumb asses, it took us a while to realize it was the fucking Boston Marathon that made everyone look THAT fit. Wow!
-Your blog is HILARIOUS.
This post made me die a little bit on the inside.
Chowda = the nastiest shit on the planet.
But, since you're going to be all Bostonian soon, I guess you gotta fit in with the locals and stuff.
Wow. What an awesome day. Sounds like the perfect day to me - wish I could do a tour like that!
Tessie is ten kinds of awesome. Add me to the crush list.
God, I am so jealous. Chowda and beer sound like HEAVEN right now.
Oooh, if you DO move to Bahstahn you have to come to LBI NJ for the last weekend of Sep. Its only a freakin 7 hour drive.. Get over it. We will put you up in the overpriced rental. Bleh.
But its CHOWDERFEST! And yes. They have a white and red seperate contest.
Red sucks. Well not really, but its not chowder. Its vegetable soup with potatoes and clams.
Its like a 3 hour drive from North Jersey if it makes you feel better. Blame Connecticut and their asshole cops who make you crawl.
Next time you're in town you should try Joe's American Bar&Grill - their chowdah in a bread bowl is amazing!
Post a Comment