Monday, February 23, 2009

Because I'm All About The Follow-Up

Two things:

1) FUNNY STORY about the culmination of Best Week Ever: Not So Much Edition. After I left work on Friday, NotDate and I decided to blow off a little steam in the form of happy hour, followed by a nice steak dinner. Good times, right? I mean, who doesn't love paying $35 for 5 scallops? The week was really looking up, is what I'm saying. Really, the only thing that could stop the good times from continuing to roll at that point would be leaving the restaurant to find that BOTH OF OUR FUCKING CARS HAD BEEN TOWED. Ha! HA HA! TANGO! FOXTROT! SIERRA!

Man, all you can do in that sitch is go RIGHT BACK INSIDE and have another fucking drink, because SRSLY.


2) I am perplexed over this senior key thing, which even my own SISTER, who graduated only two years after me from the SAME HIGH SCHOOL, for the love of GAWD, claims not to recognize. Here is what they look like:

Yeah, yeah, WICKED AWESOME picture, I KNOW. Anyway. Does no one else have one of these rotting away in a jewelry box somewhere? That's Hers on the left and His on the right. Tradition required that a senior guy give his key to his girlfriend to wear. In ADDITION to his class ring. Christ, I must have looked like FLAVA FLAV with all that bling dripping off of me, now that I think about it. Look at the CHAIN on that thing! I mean, I went to high school in Minnesota, not fucking JERSEY, right?

28 comments:

Christina Schmidt said...

Sounds very.. 50s? I have never heard of this but what do I know I went to HS in CA - we probably exchanged worn Birks!?

Anonymous said...

I'll admit, the keys do not look how I imagined them. What are they keys TO, exactly? They don't look like they could unlock much, though the "hers" one does look suspiciously like the "key" that was used to expand the evil retainer/expander I had to wear in late elementary school to make room for my adult teeth to grow in.

Becky said...

I went to high school in northern OH, and I had a senior key. I have no idea what purpose they were ever supposed to serve, other than another way for the class ring company to rake in the dough.

Anonymous said...

H has one of those keys. I never knew what it was before. Maybe it's a Minnesota thing?

That sucks about the towing!

Alice said...

so i actually WENT to highschool in nj, and we so didn't have those. we had the option of buying rings (but not until you'd already graduated, so there was no exchanging amongst bfs/gfs. well, not that i HAD A BF in highschool, so maybe i just wouldn't know.)

d e v a n said...

Never heard of the keys...
I hope the drinks cost less than the scallops!

Mandy said...

what exactly does one drink after a car gets towed???!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Please, PLEASE petition the government to officially change the name of New Jersey to Fucking Jersey because that is just too perfect.

stephanie said...

I have never seen those key things before, but I'm from CT. We had rings, but I never bought one.

Those are NICE chains, though. HAHAHAHAHA.

Anonymous said...

I went to school in Mass. and we didn't have keys, but the reference to Flava Flav makes me almost wish we had.

Shelly said...

I went to school in NC, and we TOTALLY had senior keys. They looked just like that.

And wow, what a Friday. Did you hide for the rest of the weekend?

Anonymous said...

BOTH your cars got towed??? Jesus H.

I STILL have never heard of those senior key things. But my hometown is so small, it's probably just NOW doing it.

SLynnRo said...

Yeah, no clue on the senior key.

And you are so dating this guy.

Jess said...

While inconvenient, it's kind of good that BOTH cars got towed. One car getting towed would have created all sorts of imbalances.

Kristin said...

mmmmm....nope. those key things are not familiar to me...and I'm not to far from MN.

Kristin said...

mmmmm....nope. those key things are not familiar to me...and I'm not to far from MN.

Kelsey said...

I can't believe it about the cars - yikes!

3carnations said...

I do own a class ring, which 17 years later serves no purpose whatsoever...17 years ago...also no purpose.

Type (little) a aka Michele said...

You know, I was going to offer sympathy for the towed cars thing, but you just HAD to make a remark about NJ. So screw you lady.... ;-)

Why am I picturing that you parked all Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas style, right up against the door. Am I wrong?

Tess said...

We were parked on the side of a fucking BANK. Which clearly needed those parking spaces at 8pm on a Friday night. AND there was no sign. It just said "bank parking" on the curb. Bah.

Lorraine Mazza said...

I went to H.S. in NJ, with a boyfriend from NY who gave me his class ring to wear on a normal necklace chain. We did not have the extra BLING of senior keys on thick rope rappr chains. I've never heard of this before, thinking this must be a midwest deal?

Ami said...

Dude, so did the chicks at your high school make their, um, fellas rings fit by WRAPPING FLOSS around the back part of the ring? I must know if this was just an Iowa thing. TIA.

Tess said...

Ami, my boyfriend's ring was so effing HUGE on me, that I had to wrap it with YARN, about a MILLION TIMES. Oh, it was hideous. Really, I should have just worn it around my neck, but there was that pesky KEY thing also. The drama of being a TEEN IN LOVE. Heh.

Flibberty said...

I went to high school in Minnesota too, and we did not have such a thing. How close were you to the Dakotas? Seriously, could be a western MN thing. I'll be in MN this weekend, I'll ask around :)

Tess said...

Pretty close. Just over an hour to the SD border.

LoriD said...

My car was towed once almost 15 years ago and it still makes me furious just thinking about it!

Anonymous said...

My school in Michigan did NOT have the senior key thing, but my friends' just an hours drive from me did. I always wondered what that thing around her neck was. She wasn't sure, either, only that she knew she HAD TO HAVE ONE so she did.

And, yeah, wrapping a half a skein of itchy yarn that eventually gets wet/dirty/gross/ravelly was the thing to do with the huge bf class ring in the 70's when I went to high school. Chains were reserved for crucifixes ONLY. Heh.

Laura said...

My school in Michigan had senior keys as well (nothing like commenting 9 months later), but they were not on a chain, they were on a key ring. Even more 80's dorkiness!