- We just got our tax statement from Ava's daycare, and in 2008 we paid over $12,000 for childcare. GOOD TIMES. I know it's hard to find information online about childcare costs, so there you go. PSA. I live in a place with one of the lowest costs of living of any major US city, and I pay a thousand(ish) dollars a month for someone to watch my kid. I mean, *I* wouldn't watch YOUR kid for that. I'm just sayin.
- On the plus side, turns out Ava knows how to hold a scissors and cut paper. This is WEIRD, right? She's TWO. Creepy. I picture them practicing it all day, Happy Gilmore-style. Good news kids! Arts and crafts time has been extended by THREE HOURS today!
- My aversion to the word "panties" is really screwing me over on the whole potty training thing. Turns out it's a lot easier for a toddler to say than "underwear". TOO BAD.
- I don't really care about potty training. Like, at all.
- Things I DO care about, at the moment: coffee, wine, LOST*, the perfect shade of purple nail polish, this blog, studying pictures of Jake Gyllenhaal and Reese Witherspoon in US Weekly to see if he's really into her, or if I still have a chance.
- *If Kate ends up with Jack and not Sawyer, then I have wasted the last five years of my life on that show. I hate Jack. True story.
Friday, January 23, 2009
Fun Fact Friday
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

34 comments:
HAA! I want Kate to be with Sawyer too.
Jack is so... Oatmeal.
How about "undies"? It's not quite as bad.
We use the word underwear. Panties is just too... personal or something.
I'm on about episode 12 of season 4 in LOST, and I'm TRYING to catch up so I can watch it live this year. Such a good show.
Also, I don't care about potty training at all either. My 2 year old's bday is in September... when is Ava's bday? I'm thinking they are close in age. And IMHO (well, not at all humble, b/c I've already potty trained TWO kids, so I *can* be cocky about my SKILLZ), they are too young. Also: I have NO DESIRE to sit around in every public bathroom in town. BLECH.
Really, Jake Gyllenhaal? Are you forgetting the tragedy that was "The Day After Tomorrow?" You must be.
I also LOVE Lost and sawyer is WAY sexier than jack, duh.
I also live in the midwest in an "affordable" area and pay $12k for daycare. Thankfully the ex splits it with me or there is no way...
I basically let "school" (daycare) do the work for me on the potty training thing.
I, too, soon shall be paying a thousand (ish) dollars per month for someone to watch my child. Which is wikkid cheap, considering I live in a much higher COL area than you (currently).
Not looking forward to THAT bill. Blech.
Confession: I STILL haven't watched the LOST premiere! It's been sitting on my DVR for TWO DAYS!!! Insanity.
You know what I am NOT forgetting about? JARHEAD. Omg. JARHEAD JARHEAD JARHEAD.
I'm with Penny, I was going to suggest "undies" too. Also, $12k sounds low to me, but only because I'm always hearing about women who don't go back to work after kids because childcare would eat their whole salary, and I definitely take home more than $12k a year, even after taxes.
Bubble Boy
vs.
Brokeback Mountain
Undies. That is way better than panties. And I was/am the same way. Annoyed by panties, but somehow that is what we have ended up calling them with my 3 year old. Dammit. Switching to undies STAT.
It IS low, at least for a full-time, childcare CENTER type setting. That's the sad thing. I've seen similar places in some east coast cities as high as $400/week or more.
Also, this is just for ONE KID. If you have two or three, I can see where it would start to stack the odds in favor of staying home.
We just got season 4 of Lost on Netflix and so I'm a full season behind, but I don't have quite the same aversion to Jack. However, I do think that Sawyer and Kate have much better chemistry than boring ol' Jack and Kate.
I stay home because it would actually cost me money to work. Of course that's because I have no useful skills and can't get a job with a decent paycheck. Sadly, I'm going to run smack into the hard cold reality SOON and have to figure out something.
Also, don't bother with potty training. I swear to God, they'll do it themselves. NOBODY graduates high school without learning to use the bathroom. They don't get it til they're ready anyway and it's way easier to change diapers than to clean up pee and poop messes all the livelong day. I truly believe this is one of the worst myths to be perpetrated on modern motherhood.
In our house, both boy and girl underwear are referred to as "unders".
Additionally, for my kids to go 3 days a week last year, we paid just under 15k. GAAH!
We say undies too because like you my husband has an aversion to panties as well...
I like both Jack and Sawyer both... Like good-ish and evil-ish. I actually do not really like Kate!
am I the only one not watching Lost?
UNDIES. Please. Undies.
Or, go British and REALLY screw with her head: PANTS.
$12K/ yr = almost what I paid for college, at a fancy private school. Okay, yes, in the years of Bush the First. STILL.
On the plus side, where else would she learn to use scissors?
Our yearly daycare statement was just a LITTLE less. I tell hubby that's why I'm not too worked up about how much we've saved for college: We've already proven that we can come up with that much money each year!
Have you tried using the word "undies"? That's what we say.
I never liked the word "panties" either, and never called them that. Until I potty trained Sabrina. Take heart though, we've managed to transition back to saying "underwear".
And I laugh at your $12,000 per year. Preschool, Pre-K (which she's in) and Kindergarten, AKA "no diapers" rooms are $1100 a month. I think the room she stared in (2's) is over 1250 now. Infants are 1500.
I must have issues. Am I the only Jack lover?? Oh well, I've never liked the dirty, dark tempered types. I DID date an Eagle Scout, after all. Jack is like the ultimate Eagle Scout.
Also, NO "panties". Just undies.
I usually go for the "dirty, dark tempered types," but on this one, I'm a Jack lover too clueless but hopeful mama. You are NOT alone!
The cost of daycare is crazy making. I went to a state college and paid less per year for my education than I will pay for my kid's childcare. Crazy making!
Also, I hate Jack too. When there were rumors that he was going to be killed off I was thrilled. Fingers are still crossed on that one.
Clearly I need to charge more. I'm doing my end of year statements too and most of my parents have paid me around $8k. I could handle making more money. Especially most of you aren't adverse to paying it. :)
This is my first comment to post to this blog, and I am new to the blog world in general. And, I do not have any kids. But, how can you not care about Potty Training? Looking ahead to having kids that is going to be 1 of the main milestones I will be working toward. First, potty trained. Second, getting a job.
Hardy! Yay!
I guess I just don't plan to wring my hands over it, especially since a kid peeing her pants, provided Arrangements Have Been Made, is really pretty convenient for the parent, if you think about it.
Work smart, not hard. That's my parenting (slash life) motto.
Potty training blows. My kid is so over her potty.
Also, "panties" is disgusting, but we have "knickers" here, so I'm forever talking about "big girl knickers" and it kind of grosses me out.
Man $12,000 seems like a lot! I paid about $7500 for Maggie (full-time, centre-based) and $6400 for the other two (part days, after school and summer, home-based). Maggie's is subsidized through work, but even if I paid full-price it would still only be $9000 CANADIAN!
Oh, and it's good not to care about potty training. I never got too worked up about it and mine were all easily trained.
Freakin' daycare is a financial bear. Ours was about $100 per month and that was subsidized by my employer - appalling. I thought we'd save a bundle once my son started kindergarten at public school. HA! We have to pay for "full time" kindergarten (which mean it goes until 2:00) and then pay for aftercare. Sucks.
Undies is good, but I like SaLy's suggestion of "unders." We also say "underoos." We also sometimes say "britches," which is funny during the "can't say the R sound" stage.
I don't care about potty training, either. Much. Unless someone asks about it. In which case I suddenly care, but only because I don't want the other person thinking Critical Thoughts at me.
Heh. My husband hates the word panties, too- he thinks it is a "sexy" word- but I grew up with all girls and we never thought of the word panties as having a necessarily sexual conatation. So since I have been the one mostly working with Addy on potty training, that's the word she uses, and I swear it freaks him out every time. Whoops!
We are starting the potty training thing. Carly will be 3 in June and something inside of me wants her trained by 3.
She's not the problem...plenty smart. Tells us when she's going, checks her dollies for poop... we are just lazy I guess.
Eating dinner last night she told us she had to poop. The light bulb went off. I praised her for telling me and we went to the potty. She wouldn't go.
We put the 'panties' on her (the thick traning ones) and not 3 minutes later she peed and pooped in them.....UGH.
I feel your Jack hatred; Sawyer is hawt.
As for the perfect purple nail polish, Lincoln Park After Dark by OPI, best purple evah.
I'm cringing at the thought of $12000 a year for daycare. That's like, my whole paycheck for a year. Is all I'm saying.
That is an awesome blog! Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment