- Despite the impression I gave yesterday, I'm not a TOTAL heathen. In fact, sometimes? At work? I listen to HYMNS. True story. What? It has a calming effect. My favorites at the moment: Carrie Underwood sings How Great Thou Art and Chris Tomlin sings Amazing Grace.
- I have a great aunt who is a nun
- My sister and I used to play "church" when we were little kids. We would play hymns on the piano, and make "communion" by cutting bread with milk jug caps and squishing it down.
- The last time we went to mass together, we used our phones to update our Facebook status to "Tess and Mandy are in church. JESUS LOVES FACEBOOK!"
- And loggged on to the catholicsingles.com website featured on the back of the church bulletin
- If you think I'm funny, you should meet my sister
- One of the best books I read last year was Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
- The best book I've read so far this year is The Perks of Being a Wallflower.
Friday, January 16, 2009
Fun Fact Friday!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

29 comments:
I have heard good things about Lamb. Still need to read it however!
I love that you updated FB in Church to say you were in church. If you were not struck down for that then you should be just fine!!
We used to use round corn chips or necco wafers for communion when we played church.
I read The Perks of Being a Wallflower during my graduate work because it was a hugely debated (and much banned) young adult novel. How did you come to read it???
Without getting too spoiler-y, I saw the "And in the moment, I swear we were infinite" quote during a particularly spectacular mope, and it was attributed to the book, and so I picked it up and read it all in a single day.
In THAT moment. Gah. In THAT moment, I swear we were infinite.
I had no idea you were Catholic too .... and I hope you didnt receive communion after texting in mass;)
Um. Why, would that be...BAD?
In our defense, we were there like 45 minutes early thanks to Mom The Church Lady, so mass hadn't like STARTED or anything yet.
I'll have to add the wallflower book to my Bookmooch wishlist, the Biff one is already there.
Also, in the category of hymns, of which I am whatever the total opposite of expert is, those are probably my two favorite. Both were sung at my wedding.
we never went to church growing up, like, EVER, so my sister and i definitely never played church. or, uh, learned hymns. which was AWK when i was *in* a catholic wedding, and had to stand up in the front of a church pretending to know when to sit / stand and what to respond back when people all of a sudden started talking and singing.
I love that facebook is active during mass! What a blessed site!
Oh, playing church- is that a midwest thing, or did other kids grow up doing that too?
.. before mass is OK (says the person who goes about once a year .. and will now probably consider doing the same thing the next time she goes!!)
wow, it's totally fun religious facts friday. Am I the only one who loved the taste of those communion wafers? Even though they got stuck on the top of your mouth all the time?
Jesus loves Facebook! Oh my god, I choked on my lunch. Hilarious.
My parents always made us go to church way early too. Drove me nuts having to make conversation with all the church ladies.
Love that fun fact Friday is back! I have a game in church on communion Sunday where I try to grab the largest piece of wafer/cracker as it's passed. Yep, I have even managed to make communion a competition. Bryan ALWAYS looks at me disapprovingly.
Never went to church growing up, but Brett and I just started going to church and I am constantly on the look out for people texting or maybe listening to "the game" in tiny headphones a la Homer Simpson. I don't know why I do this, I mean, I am by no means the church police with enforcement power. I guess it's just something to do.
One of Chip's favorite memories of visiting my parents a while back is watching me AND my dad sitting in church, doing "stuff" on our phones. I'm not quite sure it's just the younger set that multitasks during church.
And hey, so glad you're back.
I LOVE THAT YOU GUYS PLAYED CHURCH!! If only I had THUNK to add that to our repertoire!!
My sister and I played:
school
grocery store
camping
and carnival. Which consisted of my tying her to a pillow with tights and chucking her off the top bunk and calling it "the roller coaster."
To the person whose communion wafer gets stuck to the roof of her mouth, THAT'S WHY THEY GIVE YOU WINE.
I love LOVE 'How Great Thou Art' and had no idea Carrie Underwood sings it and now I am off to check it out. Thx.
I love that you and your sister played church. My sister and I were too busy yelling to ever play fun games like that!
My sis and I used the small, round potato chips at the bottom of the Ruffles bag for our "communion." V. classy.
I'm going to ruin the light tone of your post and ask how you like being divorced and Catholic. Hubby and I stopped going to catholic services when we were engaged and found out he could not marry me in that church unless I (unbaptized at that time and divorced from a civil union) got an annulment. He has since returned to the Catholic church, but that left me bitter and our family attends a Methodist Church together. Therefore, Hubby attends two services most weeks.
Just for the record, I am a total heathen.
Totally lapsed Catholic here. I didn't enjoy the communion wafers, but my church got all back to the earthy or something in the 80s and started serving actual pieces of pita type bread. WAY better than the wafer. Now I haven't been to church in so long I think I'd have to do first communion again to be considered Catholic anymore...
In one drunken escapade when Hub was eating some Ritz crackers, I may have opened my mouth and yelled to him "Hey! Body of Christ me one of those!!"
I'm not burning yet, so I think you are ok.
We also stuck some vanilla wafers in the kneeler for my non-catholic maid of honor when we got married, so she didn't feel left out during communion.
Love Lamb! Embrace your inner heathen.
I love my Best of Handel's Messiah CD.
Do NOT ever remember playing church as a child, maybe because the nuns that kept smacking my hand with the ruler scared the shit out of me... I trump you though, had TWO aunts that were nuns, surely that gives me direct passage through the pearly gates! PS Glad your back!
Ahhh! FUN FACT FRIDAY! As it was MEANT to be!
I have a friend of a friend whose brother STOLE a bag of (unconsecrated) hosts from the rectory and went around giving 'communion' to everyone in the neighborhood. OMG.
My sister and I used Ritz crackers.
I too played church complete with communion wafers made out of mashed up pieces of bread.
The Perks of Being a Wallflower is good book!
Post a Comment