Thursday, June 17, 2010

Thrilling squashtable update!

So, in an effort to relieve my intense bitterness over the oven-roasting time of your average spaghetti squash, I came up with a brilliant idea! Uh, if by "came up with" you mean stole from Artemisia's comment. CROCKPOT, baby.This is one jar of pasta sauce, one lb. of ground beef, 1/2 lb. of mushrooms, and one chopped onion. Plopped the seeded squashtable on top, set it and forget it, thankyoucomeagain.

You know, I rarely use my crockpot, because in my estimation even the low setting runs WAY TOO HOT. This drives me nuts. Every time I cook something I end up with a festive ring of BURNT SHIT on the inside! If I wanted burnt edges I would use the FAST COOKER aka the OVEN! Bah. Did you know that older slow cookers cook at lower temps? True story. The food police made the manufacturers increase the cooking temp in the name of"food safety." Fucking pussies. Anyway, PSA. If you use an old crockpot recipe in a new crockpot, that shit is going to be CRISPY. This is how things like those Crockpot Condoms get invented. Well, that and laziness/earth hating.

Anyway, I'll let you know whether anyone spits it out.

10 comments:

artemisia said...

Hoo boy, I hope this works out for you!

Maggie said...

Ooo never thought to use the crock for squash, which I love, but damn does it take forever to cook. Hope this works.

I'd heard that about old school crockpots and am bitter because I get the same damned crusty ring every time I use the crock no matter how freakin' low I set it. Damned food police!

Jess said...

We received a crockpot as a wedding gift. I have never used it once. I have grand plans to try it and a huge pile of crockpot recipes, and yet. So please, really do give an update on this. I want to know!

Sara said...

Holy crap! As I'm reading this I thought I should recommend the slow cooker liners. And then I read "Crockpot condoms"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROTFLMAO! In my defense, I only use them for one hideously messy recipe.
Anyhoo, let us know how the squash turns out...maybe I can trick my kids into eating it! :)

Alias Mother said...

I'm pretty sure you can microwave spaghetti squash, too. Which seems more up your alley. You seem like a nuking kind of girl.

Which I mean nicely, believe it or not.

Alice said...

i don't have a crockpot, and i also don't get up in time to eat BREAKFAST, much less prepare dinner. so.. um.. i've never really felt like i missed a crockpot much either.

Becky75 said...

::emerging from lurkerdom::

I just have to say that the crockpot thing made me laugh (and silently cheer), because up until now, everyone has made me feel like a crazy person for blaming my failed attempt at a family recipe on the crockpot. My memere's recipe for baked beans is AMAZING, and the first time I made it I followed her directions to let the beans cook for 18-24 hours in the crockpot. Yeah, that's right. 18-24 HOURS. On top of that, she insists on leaving the cover "slightly ajar" so the beans on top will brown. I had some serious bean-scraping to do the next day. So after many years of practice I finally have her recipe right, but in my crock pot it takes 10ish hours. And the lid is never any sort of "slightly ajar" because that = dried bean disaster.

Anyway, that's my sad little crock pot story. I'm sorry I never post so this may seem creepy. I'm a big fan of your blog, so I'll work on that!

Sarah said...

THANK YOU. I have been mystified for YEARS as to why my crock pot always seems to overcook stuff even if I turn it off like an hour before I'm supposed to. Aha. The new models run hotter therefore old recipes must be adjusted... Tess, once again you have helped me see the light.
Also I really want to drop the term crockpot condoms into a regular conversation now.

Anonymous said...

I hardly ever use my crockpots (yes, I have TWO). When I have used one, I swear to myself that I'll use it more often....never happens. There are many websites dedicated to crockpot recipes, I have TWO crockpot cookbooks... and NO, I never use it.

The reason I wanted to comment was to say that I was recently at a pot-luck with someone who mentioned that she sprays her crockpot with non-stick cooking spray and that it completely works in avoiding the stuck-on food problem.

Laura

Shelly said...

Crockpot condoms - HAHAHA!!! My mom used to use those every time she used her crockpot. I need to learn to use mine. Wonder if it runs hotter or not?