Monday, April 19, 2010

Foul

Man, my mood is foul today. I sort of feel like crying, which of course I'm not going to DO. Pull your head out of your ass! Honestly, I'm embarrassed I even TYPED that, which is really fucked up, but there it is.

*I just got back from my biweekly lunch date with Ava, and they had all of the kids' Family Heritage Dolls displayed out in the hallway. Outstanding. I didn't know that shit was going to be ON DISPLAY. Kind of reminds me of the Thanksgiving Episode where I filled out a "thankful-for" leaf saying I was thankful for gingerbread lattes, and then when the teacher displayed them I saw all of the other parents said they were thankful for THEIR CHILDREN. Awkward. Anyway, there was a description by each doll, and one of them said, "Andrew lives in Texas, and his daddy lives in AUSTRALIA". The doll was holding a little Aussie flag. I'm not exactly sure why, but it just fucking BUMMED ME OUT.

*Tosc is at the fire station tonight and so we won't be doing Monday Funday. Sad trumpet. I sort of...MISS HIM today, which is straight-up clingy because we were practically attached at the hip for the last week straight. And normally I sort of look forward to his nights at the station so I can get some time to myself or whatever. I've often said that I'm actually quite well suited to being the partner of a firefighter. I'm not a worrier, and I like the semi-regular nights to myself. So I don't know what my fucking problem is today. Apparently, I'm attached to the young lad, who knew. Over the weekend we were discussing Jane's cancer (WHAT? It is TOO appropriate!), and all of a sudden I realized that Tosc is totally the "hold your purse" guy. I mean, that's HIM. I dunno. It kind of punched me in the gut, for some strange reason. I don't even know what that says about me. I'll try not to dwell on it (TOO LATE).

*I have to get my car inspected, and by that I mean my inspection EXPIRED like 3 weeks ago. Nice. Tosc is all, "just go do it on your lunch hour". Now then. Tosc is a car guy, meaning he likes nice cars and has always driven relatively new cars. Not to be an ass or whatever (HA! HAHA!), but the whole inspection thing is a completely different experience when you drive a nice, new car. MY car is over 12 years old, has over $150K miles on it, and has been in 2 wrecks THAT I KNOW OF. Whereas he pulls in to the shop, exchanges his $50 for an inspection sticker, and goes about his business, it's significantly MORE of a nail-biter for me, because you never know WHAT kind of bullshit they will find "wrong" with my car, and what it will cost to walk out the door with that precious, precious stickah. It's a little like Russian Roulette; at best you maintain the status quo, and at worst...BAM! SUDDEN DEATH! Or whatever. So, that will be fun. On the plus side, there's an auto shop in my neighborhood with a bar across the street. I ask you, why didn't *I* think of that?

17 comments:

LoriD said...

If he's a "hold your purse" guy, maybe he can be a "take your car to the mechanic" guy too - all you have to do is open your checkbook and say 'What do I owe you?'

bananafana said...

oh yes do have him take your car! I have the same car situation - 13 years, 140XXX miles . . . you never know what they can find to do when you bring them in (and mine has to be done in the next 2 weeks. YEAH!)

Alice said...

seriously, i was going to say the same thing - sounds like tosc oughtta be taking that car in :-)

Tess said...

But I feel BAD asking him to do shit like that because a) it's not his responsibility and b) I feel bad enough that he does all kinds of shit around my house for me and it's not like we're married or anything and c) even if he takes it in that doesn't resolve the issue of their being something horribly, HORRIBLY wrong with the car which will cause it not to pass inspection.

Bah. Also, I CANNOT type "inspection" correctly on the first try to SAVE MY LIFE.

Tess said...

ALSO also, it's THERE not "THEIR" and NICE MOOD.

Lee said...

Aww. Hope your mood corrects itself soon. Mondays sometimes blow.

Jess said...

Dude, I just clicked over to read the hold your purse article and I was NOT in a crying mood but I almost did cry reading it because THAT IS TORSTEN TO A TEE OMG. I'm so glad for you that Tosc is the same way.

Ugh. Sorry you're feeling this way. I hope you can have Tuesday Funday (I can't think of anything that rhymes) instead, and that will make the blues go away.

Saly said...

Awww, he's your schmoopy.

I am totally the mom at daycare who ignores those "send in a photo of you with your child" flyers. I pay you to watch the kid because I don't have time for that bullshit. You should see me with kindergarten. Oh all the things they want me to do!! Not.Feeling.It.

Marie Green said...

Is it bad that I'm still chuckling over the "gingerbread latte" sitch?

And a "purse holder"? How totally awesome is that? David is that way, fo' shizzle, and that is one of the things that I fell in love with about him: he's just so stable and kind and GOOD.

Hope you feel better soon, my dear. Would it help if I went to Taco John's in your honor? Pizza Ranch?

Maggie said...

Pfft, I was the mom at daycare who never remembered to bring in the family photos or whatever with my son. Now that he's in first grade, I'm the parent that never remembers to bring in craft supplies or whatever the hell (while also forgetting to bring in family photos for my daughter's daycare). My son doesn't appear to be traumatized. Am not crafty, am never going to be. Also I would be likely to answer something like "I'm thankful for 8 hours of sleep."

d e v a n said...

Well - of COURSE parents are thankful for their children, but you can't get a gingerbread latte every day. Damn - don't they know that?!

amber said...

I wouldn't worry at all about Ava's heritage doll. As for the thankfulness, "their children" is an obvious answer. They probably felt they HAD to write it for the same reason you felt bad for not writing it.

Melospiza said...

Man, I hate days like this. I totally relate to getting bummed by random things like kids' Heritage Days Dolls.

Anyways, I think Ava's HDD was an AWESOME one for display.

(And I can I just say that I've been on the receiving end of that semi-annoying "what I'm thankful for" lists? Si is always coming up with great zingers like "I'm thankful that my Mom and Dad let me watch TV whenever I want" or "I'm thankful that my Mom and Dad don't yell at me too much." So far he hasn't said "I'm thankful my Mom and Dad let me out of my cage to go to school" but I'm sure that's on its way.)

Swistle said...

I would be so grateful if schools would (1) WARN US when things would be on display, and (2) specifically state that DUH we are all thankful for our children and having enough food to eat or WHATEVS, and can we move to the more INTERESTING parts of the list that live beneath the OBV at the top?

Sarah said...

Second Swistle: I'm pretty sure parents who are NOT thankful for their kids, at least most of the time, are pretty few and far between, so let's just all assume the best of each other and move on. Though of course I suppose it's for the kids' benefit to see it. Still, though- I think gingerbread latte is a lot more interesting and much less of a cop out.

Nowheymama said...

Our inspection is next month and I dread it. Just hold on another couple years, ten-year old van....

auntie said...

that purse article has me in tears! i haven't tested my boyfriend with holding my purse anywhere, but when he cleared the snow off my car one day at a restaurant as we were both heading our separate ways for the day...it melted my heart. i didn't ask him. i didn't even indicate that i thought it would be nice if he cleared away the snow. he just DID it. he scored so many points that day, and he wasn't even trying!