*I had to lay off one of my employees this week. Ugg. ACK. WORST. You can imagine how comfortable I was in THAT situation.
*After going through the official "script" for this kind of thing, I ended the meeting by offering to let her punch me in the face. TRUE STORY. GOD. There really IS something wrong with me.
*She did laugh though, so I'm thinking they should totally add that to The Script.
*Honestly, though, WHO DOES THAT? What the FUCK?!
*This has been the craziest year of my career. I have the irritating type of job that gets MORE busy and stressful the slower our business gets. Hmm. This makes it sound like I'm in SALES, or some shit. Ha. HAHA. NO. It's exponentially more boring and lame.
*One of the ladies in my regular Tues/Thurs spinning class was recently diagnosed with Lou Gherig's disease.
*If I were diagnosed with an incurable disease, you would not see my ass at spinning. You would see it in a BARSTOOL, in front of a plate of CHEESE FRIES. It's amazing and awesome that she's still coming to class.
*Ava is on her way to Boston(ish) for her birthday, and I am wicked bummed. BTW, I was not offended by any of the comments or emails regarding my feelings on sharing custody. Before I had to do it, I could not imagine being away from Ava 1/2 of the time, either.
*It's amazing what we can adapt to, isn't it?
*Speaking of which, if you've emailed me about flicking, I probably haven't responded yet. I'm sorry. I am going to.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
I've only ever had to fire people I WANTED out of my face. I'm sure they would have punched me in the face if I had offered. Not that I would. In Homer's job, he routinely has to layoff good people (union sitch); I'll mention the punching in the face offer to him for his script.
It truly was The Suck, because this person was a great employee and it was not my choice to lose her. SIGH. YAY ECONOMY!
Five of my husband's coworkers will be laid off next Monday, and he is so upset about it. I think it's a Survivor's Guilt type situation, but all I can think is, "Thank God you dodged the bullet!"
This economy stuff bites the big one. Jim's boss is so stressed right now it's not even funny. I literally cannot imagine how he'll muster the nerve to actually tell these people the news. Perhaps I should mention the punching thing to him.
Laying people off is horrible! Sorry you had to go through that.
Yeah, if I was diagnosed with a terminal illness, I'd be right there beside you on that barstool with the cheese fries. And a side of nachos, please.
Being away from your kid on her birthday sucks big time. Hope she has a good trip.
Crazy how we think so much alike sometimes. I have many times been surprised at my ability to adapt to my custody arrangement. Don’t get me wrong, I would much prefer to be with him all the time but the fact is I’m not and I’ve found a way to be ok with that because I have to. My CHOICE is to not be miserable and sad over something that I can’t change.
Anytime there is a major shift in my life, I seem to adapt well to it and you do as well. It seems almost brazen and/or cold at times the way I don’t freak out about things but I think that our life circumstances have taught us that shit happens (as Mom would say) and ones ability to accept and deal with it is vital to a peaceful existence.
This is why (wince) I don’t necessarily want my child to have a perfect life. I’m obv not going to create adverse situations on purpose, but I think that having to adapt to life’s curve balls at an early age creates a certain wisdom and ability to cope that will serve them well throughout life. THE END holy shit long comment. Oh and sucky about the layoff. Sounds like you could use a vacation! 5 more days...
god. every once in a while i think i want a position w/more responsibility, then i remember i might actually have to do something like LAY SOMEONE OFF and then i recoil and go hide in a corner.
I'm with Alice. This particular pleasure has never been mine, and given my current state of not-having-a-job, may never be. If so, however, I will remember that line. I would have laughed, too.
Dude, if my former boss had offered to let me punch him in the face when he laid me off, I'd have DONE IT, not laughed. And I'd probably still be there, kicking him.
Then again, I'm a little bitter and angry and it probably helped that you didn't want this person to go and she knew it, whereas I knew my boss wanted my ass GONE.
I was laid off when I was eight months pregnant. My boss had one of my (male) coworkers escort me into the meeting. At the end of the meeting my boss admitted he'd had my coworker there in case I went into premature labor. He should have offered a punch in the face.
My heart goes out to you, Tess. Laying someone off has to be an awful, awful situation.
We may have to lay off our BEST employee. We are scrambling to work something out. SUCK, INDEED.
I admire that woman in the spinning class. I would like to think I would approach a life sentence with grace, but I am afraid that is not a wish I would live up to.
Hang in there. I know Ava's b-day will be tough. I will be thinking of you.
I just read up on Lou Gehrig's Disease. My God. I mean, I already knew what it was but I forgot the magnitude of the suckage. I don't know what the hell I would want to do if I got it. Excuse me while I go contemplate the unfairness of life.
I mostly have fired people who deserved a punch in the face themselves, but once I had to let a girl (who was/is a good friend ) go for something that was not work related. We were both bawling in the end.
Oh yeah, awesome.
That sucks to have to lay someone off. I think you probably handled it better than most, though, because you're more real about it. We had layoffs at my last job once and they had this little room set up with a pitcher of water and a box of tissues, and everyone who got called in there KNEW the news wasn't good. It was just AWFUL the way they did it.
Post a Comment