Tuesday, January 4, 2011

First Tuesday

Did you all have a productive First Monday? DID YOU? Tosc and I went out for Monday Funday, which presented a minor First Monday challenge, but I'll have you know that I avoided the tortilla chips, which is really a shame since the bar had BUILD YOUR OWN QUESO. I mean, come on. I practically cried. As usual, I did NOT avoid 3 vodka and sodas (the official drink of 2011!), but did you see that on my physical health post? NO. I submit you did not.

So! On to the emotional/spiritual health improvements!

1) Improve my focus. I know this seems a little loosey-goosey, but I find that I get more distractable as the years go by. Specifically, this will probably mean keeping my email (erm, and Google Reader) closed while I am working on something else, and possibly not listening to health & fitness podcasts while I work (something I do pretty much every day). Uff. That one's really gonna hurt.

2) Take at least one weekend trip alone with Ava. We won't be doing much air travel this year, since FIVE plane tickets are a lot more cost prohibitive than TWO. I know it's selfish, but I'm feeling bad about this. It seems like another way that Ava's being punished because she's now in a blended family. And another way I'M being punished, since I love flying and don't particularly enjoy roadtrips, especially with three young kids. Anyway, I'd like to take her on a mini-vacation, just the two of us, or maybe bring her to Minnesota. MIDDLE CLASS SOB STORY, I know, since most people don't get to jet off with each of their kids individually. Still.

3) Go camping. I camped a lot as a child (MN is actually more conducive to it than TX, since the summers are milder), and I miss it. Our trip to Alaska stirred my camping bug as well. When it comes down to it, I really am a low-maintenance outdoorsy type (within reason). Anyway, at least one camping trip. Should be do-able, especially since we could ease into it by camping when we don't have the girls.

Don't forget, it's not too late to tell me about your resolutions, healthkick or otherwise!

13 comments:

Laura said...

I'm loving that you are posting more often these days!

Laura

Mary O said...

So, as of yesterday I am signed up for She Likes Purple's "Biggest Blogging Loser," I joined Weight Watchers AND I am signed up for Hood to Coast, a long relay-style team run that takes place here in the Pacific Northwest in August. How's THAT for a healthkick? (And a really bad run-on sentence?)

d e v a n said...

You passed up build your own queso?! WILL OF STEEL.

Alice said...

ugghhh i am already not thrilled about my eating healthy in january bullcrap. why can't i just have my 22 yr old metabolism forever? WHHYY?

LoriD said...

I just posted about my health kick!

Good lord, could I use #1. I am so damned distracted all the time. It's like I'm 'in the zone' and then BAM something shiny grabs my attention and I don't get it back for quite awhile. Turning off the podcasts would be a good start (mine are more science-y than fitness).

Maggie said...

I have no health kick to report as currently my job is kicking my ass all the time. Bah.

This fall my 7 YO son and I took a trip alone. It was great. We took the train about 3 hours to another city and stayed over night - saw the sights, went to the aquarium, swam in the pool, had no specific schedule or plan. It was really fun to spend time just with him and he enjoyed the attention. I plan on doing this with him again then then only with my daughter when she gets older too. I totally recommend it when financially feasible.

sarahbb said...

I like the focus one.

My plan is to lose a little focus - or to at least shift what I'm focusing on and balance it all somehow. I'm going to open my personal email and google reader (at least at lunch) and listen to more health and fitness podcasts and read books that interest me. I'm hoping to stop with the constant focus on school/work and start focusing a little more on my health and fitness interests. I miss it.

Lisa @ Lisa Moves said...

I am exercising every single day (blarg), I joined Weight Watchers and am obsessing over the cookies I am not eating. I do not have a set goal in mind, maybe 15ish lbs or so. I just want my pants to fit again.

Jess said...

These are great goals. I am not really the camping type, but Colorado is so GOOD for camping. Maybe when Piglet is a little older we will try it out, because it seems like such a kid-friendly activity.

Lee said...

I mourn with you on the Build Your Own Queso. :( So, so sad.

Erin said...

Camping with kids the girls' age is actually pretty awesome. We did it (finally) this fall, and minus the BABY (who was terrible at 5am in a public campground), it was fantastic.

I typically pick a word to focus on throughout the year. Last year it was "cultivate." Which was meant more toward relationships than, say, CROPS. Though I did plant a garden. I give myself a B+ on cultivate because I stepped out on a limb and made some new friends. Also, worked on some old ones.

This year my word is "restrain." Which sounds so NEGATIVE. But I have a terrible, embarrassing temper. It's shameful. And I need to WORK ON IT. So I am. I'm going to restrain. So far, on Day Four, it's going spendidly.

Restrain also comes into play with regard to dietary concerns, which are plentiful. I have terrible eating habits when (a) under stress, or (b) not under enough stress. I eat way to much sugar and refined carbs and it makes me feel terrible and my blood sugar all loopy. So I'm working on it.

Also, I'm going to run LESS. Erg. This one is hard for me. Because running less makes restraining easier. I am so flippin HUNGRY all the time when I'm running a lot (i.e., over 30 miles/ week), and I cannot NOT eat the crap. So I'm running UNDER 30 miles/ week but also starting to lift weights.

The weights don't fit in the restrain category, but they're just an extra bonus to make me hate 2011 already.

Lindsay said...

healht and fitness podcasts? I must look into this. I too love the more frequent posts. Most my resolutions are on my blog but I am secretly trying to eat healthier so I can run faster as well. But then everyone on twitter was talking about eating chocolate chips and I remembered I bought choco chips for baking back in Christmas season and well...yes. First Monday ended with me feeling sick. YAY!

Stormy said...

Erin, I love the "word for the year". That's so awesome and easy. So, I just decided my word is "organize". I need to get my house, my finances and my business in order. It occurs to me that I get slightly depressed or in a rut when my environments are chaotic (so, why do I let them get that way?!!). So, organize, it is.