Monday, January 3, 2011

First Monday!!

Happy First Monday! I'll have you know that it's 11 am and I've gotten exactly ZERO peppy emails explaining your impending healthkicks in excruciating detail. Disappointing. Well, there is STILL TIME.

In the interim, you all are on the edge of your seats over my resolutions, AM I WRONG?

Let's start with the physical health resolutions, which are plentiful as always:

1) First, Do No Harm. I am getting, as they say, ON IN THE YEARS, and I've recently had an epiphany that the single most important thing I can do to further my fitness goals is NOT TO FUCKING COME UP LAME. I've been dealing with a minor hip/hamstring...situation for a few months now, which came as a result of running sprints on sore legs, which is just straight-up BRAIN-DEAD, from where I stand now. That one dumb decision hampered a bunch of other things I wanted to do this year (including more sprinting). Also, it totally sucks and makes me angry. At myself. Which is my least favorite type of anger. So! I resolve to Pay Attention, FTLOG and not doing anything (else) Fucking Stupid. Fitness-wise, anyway. It's pretty much going to happen in the other areas.

2) Continue lifting weights and gaining strength. This was a huge win for 2010. Since starting workouts with my trainer, I've gone from being weak as a leetle girl (which, granted, I AM) to bench pressing 1 1/2 times my weight and squatting twice my weight. *Pause for gasps/thundering applause.* Since I'm still a newbie, I should be able to see some more improvement in this area, which would be a mood lifter, although it begs the question of exactly how strong I feel I need to BE? As strong as I can get in 30 minutes a week, that's how strong!

FWIW, just as a data point, I'm definitely...BIGGER since I started lifting, at least across the chest and in the thighs. Probably because I'm such a gifted, natural BEEFCAKE. Heh. Overall, I think I look better, though. I'm not sure what effect it's had on my weight, since I don't weigh myself, but if I had to guess I'd say I'm definitely heavier. In the good way. But also the way that requires new bras and jeans.

3) Consider a long-term fitness goal of passing the Firefighter Physical Agility Test. Even THINKING about this scares the shit out of me, embarrasses me, and makes me tired. Most firefighters have to pass a test that measures their agility, strength, and conditioning in a variety of ways. For example, they might have to haul a length of hose up 10 flights of stairs, then drag a 200-lb dummy 50 yards. And so on. I was inspired to consider this by our friend Amber, a female firefighter and all-around bad ass who was recently the first female to ever pass one of the toughest physical agility tests in the state. BOOM. So awesome. Anyway, the test clearly sucks and also I am up against a significant obstacle in that while I am getting pretty strong FOR MY SIZE, objectively I'm still not that strong. The fact that I can squat twice my bodyweight does not equate to being able to drag a 200-lb dummy. Buzzkill. Still, food for thought. And speaking of food:

4) Continue experimenting with my diet. In 2010 I confirmed that I don't tolerate gluten very well, and since I don't even LIKE most gluten-containing foods, I decided to mostly eliminate it. I also confirmed that I DO tolerate dairy (or at least I'm fooling myself that I do) and I miss the EVERLOVING SHIT out of it when I abstain, therefore I will NOT be eliminating it. What I need to do in 2011 is eliminate, or at least drastically reduce, the amount of corn I eat (mostly in the form of Mexican food). I don't want to. AT ALL. It makes me sick though, there's little doubt about that.

There's something else I'm going to do, in the name of SCIENCE, and I predict you guys will think it's pretty silly and possibly douchey. Ah well. I, uh, bought a blood glucose monitor. I know, I KNOW, I'm not diabetic or anything (YET), but it's for SCIENCE! In addition to relying on how I feel, I'm going to start taking some readings to see how different foods affect me. And, um, hopefully Tosc, if he'll submit. He doesn't exactly know about it yet. BACK OFF! That kid has insulin resistance and reactive hypoglycemia, and I intend to prove it, damn it! THE DATA DOESN'T LIE! Oh god. Well, let's start with me. I'll let you know how it goes. FYI, if you want to play along at home, blood glucose monitors are wicked cheap, like $20ish, and testing strips are less than $.50 apiece. I AM JUST SAYING AND SHUT YOUR MOUTHS.

5) Anti-resolution: Run a half-marathon. This is not a resolution, since I don't actually WANT to do it. Some friends of ours talked us into it, and Tosc and has never done a race longer than a 5K, and we were all drunk at the time, and blah blah blah. We're doing it. It's March 27th. My goal is to train as little as possible, probably on a walk/run basis, and still be able to complete the race and have fun. See Resolution 1).

Jesus H. CHRIST, this is getting long. Do you see what happens when you get me started? We'll have to do the mental and spiritual health resolutions later in the week. Besides, this is all just a prelude to the real attractions, which are YOUR resolutions. Lay 'em on me in the comments, or post a link! Send me a 2500-word email! Twitter DM! Carrier pigeon! Just do it!

11 comments:

Nik-Nak said...

I'm not going to send an e-mail since there isn't much to my weight related resolution. Basically, I need to shed some weight to A) feel better about myself and B) pour myself into a Matron of Honor dress in five months. I'm eliminating sweets, exercising 5 times a week, and eating less calories that I used too. That's all I got. I learned if I obsess I will just get frustrated and forget it.
But congrats to you! I wish I had your determination. It would no doubt shed every extra pound I have.
Good Luck!!

Anonymous said...

I am picturing you sneaking up on Tosc with the blood glucose monitor. Heh.

My goal is to try not to derail my workouts. I'll be good for a few months, then take 2-3 weeks off for no good reason. So I want to try to keep up with that. I'm also going to get back into lifting weights because I love it. (I got bigger across my back/shoulders when I did it last time, which sucked because then I was too big for my favorite shirt. I consoled myself by telling Jason it was because I was so awesomely BUFF. Ahem.)

I'll also try to swear less at people during my commute. (Loophole: But only if they stop driving like effing douches.)

Lee said...

My health kick post is coming, swearsies. If it makes you happy, I've been thinking about it all day and logging calories on livestrong.com, and DOING SO WELL. First Monday enthusiasm FTW!

What proves you are the opposite of me is that you made a resolution while "drunk blah blah blah," and you're sticking to it! Ha! I would toss that thing out the window without one feeling of guilt whatsoever. But, good luck on the half!

-R- said...

I don't have any health-related resolutions (due in part to being 7 months pregnant and all that jazz), but H has some real doozies. I may e-mail them to you.

Cherie Beyond said...

I try to never make resolutions, because I always fail and then I feel bad, blah blah blah. But nearly a year after popping out kid #2 I am in absolutely abysmal shape. Abysmal. But I have approximately 30 seconds of free time a day and I'm trying to be realistic about what I can accomplish these days. So I'm not setting really specific goals beyond: 1) stop eating so damn much sugar and 2) move my body in one way or another every day. Which reminds me that I need to go outside and go for my 15 second walk, which is only 15 seconds because its about 15 degrees and windy as all hell out there, right now.

But something is better than nothing, right? Right.

Amen.

Jess said...

Oh man. I LOVE this. The do no harm resolution is SO important. I'm glad you put it first because it definitely does impact all the others.

My hope for this year is to lose all the baby weight, and hopefully get back on the lap-band track of continuing to lose weight after that. But I'll start with the baby weight. I'm assuming the baby himself will kick-start me with 8 pounds or so, and hopefully I can manage the rest from there.

Sahara said...

Dude! You got super strong FAST! Rock on! My bench press sucks donkey balls, and I hate it (hate that you need a spotter, hate that failure = HEAD/NECK/BOOBS CRUSHED). I have no resolutions but wanted to stop by to say congratulations on being totally rad!

Alice said...

i would resolve to do no harm, except i appear to be wholly incapable of doing that. but i'm at least getting better about not hurting myself *while exercising.*

no health or exercise resolutions for me! i have a short-term healthy eating situation going on, as i am scheduled to be in a bikini in less than 4 weeks, so HA HA let's get the belly pooch under control, shall we?

sarahbb said...

I might be willing to play along at home re: the blood glucose thing. We entertained the idea (getting an initial reading, anyway) but I worried we might be obsessing (should add that J called to set up a Bod Pod appointment, too, so the obsessing worry is legitimate). Now, though, at least I won't be alone.

d e v a n said...

Here are my resolutions: http://all-d.blogspot.com/2010/12/my-word.html

For my healthkick, I'm just trying to eat less, eat healthier and be more active. Rocket science, right?

Maggie said...

Man aging is such a bitch. That first do no harm thing was a tough lesson for me to digest a few years ago when it became apparent that I was no longer 22 (what?) and couldn't just jump into any new kind of exercise I felt like and tear it up without seriously injuring myself and, therefore, being unable to exercise for weeks at a time. Now must be reasonable and pace myself. Bleh.