The sickerton:
Is it me, or does she look straight-up Real Hispanic in this picture? Well, anyway, let's pump the brakes before I say something (else) awkward and offensive. You do get a sense of the real estate taken up by the LoveSac in this pic, don't you? It doesn't even fit in the damned frame! Of my smartphone, but still. It makes an outstanding SickNest, I'll give it that. In conclusion, do I need to call the Penn State Paranormal team, or? WTF are those..rays of light on the wall? Must be ANGELZ PERTECTIN MAH SICK BEBEH. Heh. Just kidding. Angels aren't real. The Penn State Paranormal team, though, they're totally Good People.Anyhoo, being home with Ava for two days reminds me how utterly ineffective I am at homemaking. We ran some errands yesterday morning, and when we got home I thought to myself, "I have ALL DAY! I can make a lovely and nutritious dinner FROM SCRATCH, the way I always dream of doing while rotting away at my desk!". Except that by the time I got my shit together and started going through recipes, it was like 10am, and we had to go to the store for ingredients, so that meant homemade bread or anything in the crockpot was pretty much out, and...yeah. Turns out you actually have to PLAN if you want to do the from-scratch thing, even if you have all day. Never my forte, I think we can all agree on that.
(I went with the chicken enchiladas and homemade salsa, both from Pioneer Woman. Thanks for asking)
In two days at home, I did 1 (one) load of laundry, and 0 (zero) other cleaning tasks. Wow.
In my defense, and I'm not sure if you guys knew this or not, but staying home alone with a kid, even a sick one, is a pain in the ass! You heard me!
Listen, the last time I spent two straight weekdays home alone with Ava, she was about 10 weeks old. I didn't have to play a SINGLE GAME of "Sight Word Bingo," is what I'm saying. I'm not sure who woke up one day and decided Sight Word fucking Bingo was going to be her contribution to the world, but I'd like to tie her down and have 4-year-olds lean over her for hours, all, "WHAT DOES 'OF' MEAN, MOMMY? WHAT DOES 'AS' MEAN? WHAT ABOUT 'THE'?" Gah. Depends on what your definition of "is" is, amiright?
Well anyway, she's fine (ish), and back to school today. Where hopefully she's being cared for by someone who has attended intensive "define a preposition oh wait you can't because that shit's impossible" training.

17 comments:
Wait, wait, wait. Carlos is a teacher? Where?
That LoveSac is HUGE. Now I feel dirty.
I'm glad Ava is feeling better.
LoveSac. Heh.
Also, I am freaking HATING trying to teach Addy to read. Sight words suck, and so do repeated bright admonitions of "sound it out!" We can add this one right after "pregnancy" on my list of things I thought I'd love but it turns out quite the opposite.
Holy crap, I couldn't figure out what she was sitting on! Ha! And I literally laughed out loud at comment regarding teaching the dark arts! And yes, I have been a SAHM for 6 years and am a sucky homemaker. I also think that I am glad that I have never played "sight word bingo"! I hope she feels better soon and doesn't get the other girls sick!
Also, love that your sidebar still says you are a recently divorced single mom.
Sick kids suck but I'll tell you one thing, I'd rather take care of four sick toddlers than one sick husband.
LoveSac. Love it!
"The Dark Arts" ROFL
Aren't Weds and Thurs your days anyway? Or are you two flexy on sick days?
I really need to change that sidebar but I can't seem to motivate.
Wed/Thurs ARE my days, but it's been a while since she was out two days in a row and I don't think those days have ever been Wed/Thurs.
I would say the last FIVE times she's been sick, though, I've left work and taken her home/to the doctor. The irony of teaching is that even though he has an EMBARASSING number of days off in a year, it's actually way less flexible than my job when he DOES have to show up (which is hardly ever)(NOT THAT I'M BITTER).
I have no idea where he teaches, or what. If I had to guess, I'd say PE or health. OR THE DARK ARTS.
So...in TX you can just decide to become a teacher? Don't you need a bachelor's degree in education and a teaching licensure in those parts?!? Scary.
And poor Ava :( She does look hispanic because that blanket looks like a little mexican dress.
You are hilarious! Also, your poor sick baby!! She just looks miserable in that picture :(
You are hilarious!
Poor Ava. Sick kids aren't fun. Hope she's up to par for the weekend.
As far as I can tell, you don't have to have a degree in EDUCATION, just enough hours to get a teaching license? Hell, I don't know.
The dark arts is definitely the right answer there.
Don't introduce her to Battleship or Monopoly. Seriously. (Unless someone else has to stay home and play. hehe)
I hope Ava feels better. How did your enchiladas come out? PW totally stole that recipie from my Mom. Its one of my favorites.
i now want chicken enchiladas even though it's 10:45am. although i want someone ELSE to make them for me.
The Dark Arts - HA!
Every time I have a day off from work due to sick kid or random holiday or some other thing, I think I'm going to really tear into the homemaking thing - make dinner, do laundry, play with the kids. Every time I end up possibly putting a load in the washer (not the dryer), making the same kind of dinner I would have randomly thrown together in 15 minutes if I'd been at work, and letting my son watch approximately 3x the amount of TV he usually does. I accomplish even less than I do on a work day. Pathetic.
ARGH sick days are so stressful! I swear the most tension there has ever been in my marriage was during the six month period when I worked a long term (full time) subbing job and our kids caught every single hint of a germ that came through day care.
Post a Comment