Thursday, January 14, 2010

Things that are NOT working

*Switching from peanut butter to almond butter. Listen, I've read all of the same propaganda that you have on peanuts, and then some. They are a poisonous fake-nut! A LEGUME! But you guys, I love peanut butter. Almond butter is like its dirty hippie cousin, twice removed, emphasis on the DIRTY. It's all grainy and crunchy and...ALMONDY! Bah. Plus, I need Popeye-style arms and/or an industrial-strength immersion blender to mix that shit. I end up eating half Almond Oil and half Almond CLAY. UNACCEPTABLE.

*Coming up with stuff to look forward to in 2010. Tosc and I are planning a trip to Oklahoma City for our one-year anniversary (!!!) in a few weeks, and we are headed to MN again this summer for my family's annual National Lampoons Functional Alcoholics Vacation. But other than that...WHAT? Tosc wanted to do a week-long road trip with all three girls, to which I LAUGHED HEARTILY in his Clark Griswold FACE. I mean, really. Insert Shaggy-style "HUH?" here! I was thinking more along the lines of a trip to London to booze with our friend Woz, or maybe a weekend in NYC or Boston. Where are you guys going this year, and are you DRIVING there with THREE 3-YEAR-OLDS for the love of CHRIST?

37 comments:

Melospiza said...

Ha ha ha ha ha you know what? I AM. Driving to Legoland. Which is THREE STATES AWAY. And, okay, the three kids in the car are all five or above. Still: WHOO boy. A third-grader, a second-grader, and a pre-K. Let the wiener and poop talk begin.

Yay, spring break.

Arwen said...

We're driving to Pennsylvania (a 5-6 hour trip) to spend a week with friends, and the fact that they are awesome friends and we'll be hanging out with nothing to do but relax is the only thing that might make it worth it to drive 300 miles with children who will be 3.5 and 1.5 years old. Yikes.

Also, flying to Boston in August for a conference and family vacation, and in order to save the cost of a ticket plus a rental car, my husband is going to drive out and meet us. Which means I'll be flying ALONE with said 3.5 and 1.5 year olds. Apparently I am insane. Also I think I'm going to keep a tally of how many nightmares about the prospect I have between now and the actual trip.

I am most looking forward to October, when we are taking at least one and maybe two nights *away from our children* which we have not yet done since the baby was born in January 2009. He'll be nearly two and he'll do fine, I'm pretty sure. And we will have the sweet, sweet bliss of several days of sleeping in and eating at restaurants where no one throws food on the floor. Excellent.

JackeeG4glamorous said...

Whatever you do, don't give them gum.

Then theres, this, you could lace a PEANUT butter sandwich with Benedryl and hope for a long snooze.

God LOVE THIS GUY. He's a family man. One year huh? Times sure flies.

LoriD said...

We never plan ahead for vacations. I know I'll be doing a weekend with my friends in April(ish), but beyond that ???.

I have not heard the peanut controversy, nor do I want to. I love PB and all peanut products. lalalalala

Christina Schmidt said...

Huh. Peanuts are THAT evil. Who knew... my kid would rather chew on an old shoe if we did not feed him peanut butter as it is the only acceptable substance on his ever growing list of foods he WILL NOT EAT EVA! He still only has two eyes though I suspect the third eye should form any day now!

Any who, we are flying across the country to Seattle to see my fam THEN we are boarding a ferry to Victoria BC then driving to the other end of the island to "hang out with" my SIL (ugh). Then taking a ferry BACK to Vancouver, driving another few hours to stand outside in the freezing cold to watch Olympic ski jumping then driving a few hours back into Vancouver to watch Olympic hockey then driving back to Seattle for another cross country flight home... all of this with an almost 5 year old and an 18 month old. FUN, right!? Oy.

Also, flying to Winnipeg to see the inlaws.

Finally, I have my fingers crossed that we will maybe go to some tropical paradise. I am guessing that closest thing to tropical I might get to this year is the reptile building at the Cincinnati Zoo... le sigh.

Aggie99 said...

I have apparently missed all the hullabaloo about peanuts. I'll add it to my post-it note of things to research when I have free time again....in 18 years.

We have high hopes to drive to Houston and visit Bryan's aunt and uncle for a long weekend. God, typing it is even depressing. Oh Hawaii and wine country, where have you gone?? Oh right, out the door with the baby. Sigh. At least for a year.

Roadtrip+3 grils=great blog fodder for us to enjoy at your expense. :)

Swistle said...

A YEAR? OMG.

sarahbb said...

I've mostly given up on the almond butter. I like it sometimes, but I love peanut butter all the time.

It's one of those things that's just not worth fighting, for me. I'm feeling like peanut butter has GOT to at least be better than eating frosting from the tub, but I might be coming at this from a slightly different place than most.

Lisa @ Lisa Moves said...

Three kids under the age of 4. Flying to Costa Rica. Flying to Italy. Driving 7 hours to the middle of nowhere, PA for a family reunion. My rule is one adult per child....so at this point we never go on vacation unless the inlaws come with. I look forward to the day the youngest is weaned and the hubby and I go on vacation. Alone.

Sahara said...

Everybody's gettin' all vacation-planny on the interwebs today. It's like we all have the mid-winter doldrums or something. Yesterday I was so desperate to make A PLAN for a vacation (ANY VACATION!) I was seriously thinking about taking the nearly-five-year-old and the baby on a train from Portland to LA to go to Disneyland. By myself. Er, what? So good luck with YOUR vacation planning. I am clearly useless.

Valerie said...

I only like almond butter from Central market where you grind it from the machine fresh - otherwise you do get the oil separation. You still get it from the fresh after a while so I only get it in small amounts. Also, I do almond v. peanut because I like it - never heard of this peanut conspiracy before. Like your other commenter’s - I don't want to know!!
We drive to Missouri every year (Roaring River State Park - 6 hr drive) but it's kind of a nostalgia trip and if you don't enjoy fishing/camping then I wouldn't recommend it - but we LOVE it! Kids love it too.

Gretchen said...

If peanut butter kills you then that's what I'm going to die from.

Sahara said...

If PEANUT butter is *WRONG*, then I don' wanna be RIGHT.

Shelly said...

Yeah, I don't want to hear the peanut butter news, either. It's on the (very) short list of foods my three year old will eat, so let's just leave well enough alone, okay?

And also? One year anniversary! YAY!

Mandy said...

HELLO??? You forgot trip to wine country to celebrate sister's 30th birthday.

Anonymous said...

Hmmph. Wait until A goes to school and you'll have to make her soy-butter sandwiches for the love of peanut-allergic kids, now THAT stuff: nasty!

Jess said...

I have been meaning to try cashew butter. I seriously hope that it will NOT be the same disappointment that almond butter was for you.

Tess said...

Maybe I should try cashew butter next? In my mind, cashews have a similar texture to peanuts.

Soy butter is DEFINITELY out.

d e v a n said...

How has it been a year?! huh.

I like Sunbutter. (sunflower seed butter) but I already eat the natural pb, so it's grainy and separates and all that...

WE are driving to:
Missouri (8-9 hrs)
Texas (16 hrs, divided into 2 days)

With all 4 of our kids. Who are ALL under 5. J

Just kill me now.

Megan said...

My son has a severe allergy to peanuts. Sunbutter is pretty good, and peabutter works in a sandwich with jelly. Cashew butter is rich, but pretty tasty.

The almond butter isn't bad in recipes, but if you're trying to spread it on bread, I can see how that would be a problem.

Amy said...

I'm going to OKC in February to visit my sister and nieces. I'm also an OSU alum - Go Pokes! - so I love Tosc that much more. Congrats on 1 year.

Unknown said...

You will have to remove the peanut butter, preferably Teddie Natural with Salt, from my cold dead body along with coffee, in the other hand.

Caitlin said...

Ooooh! I have Strong Opinions on nut butters!
First of all, if you're getting the natural-ish almond buttah that's just almonds and salt, you need to give it a vigorous stir and then put it in the fridge to keep from separating.
Second, SCREW that natural stuff. I am all about the natural, but the best evah almond butter is MaraNatha no-stir crunchy. Has sugar and such, but is probs. no worse than what they add to many commercial peanut butters and it's AMAZING.

Third, since I am (mostly) all about the natural and try to avoid the extra sugar, I don't buy Maranatha often and I make my own cashew butter (HIPPIE) in my BlednTec. A bag of Trader Joe's roasted unsalted cashew bits + 3 teaspoons oil + teaspoon salt = AMAZING. I keep it in the fridge- it doesn't separate.

Also, One year? Fuckbeans, that is crazy.

Lee said...

So far we're only going on our annual trip to the beach. I would like to be planning something else -- that's a good New Year's resolution, actually, for every year: Plan something to look forward to. Hmm.

Must think.

I vote No on Almond Butter.

Farrell said...

Well, it's only January but so far I've got a visit to Seattle to see my cousin's baby boy, and sometime this summer, Soph and I will fly to California to visit friends and attend a wedding. California is nice and fun and all, but nothing really counts as a vacation to me unless it is in the Caribbean and I haven't done that since my honeymoon in 2000:(

Erin said...

OH Tess, you make me LAUGH.

We ARE planning a 875-mile roadtrip with three children ages 4 and under. Because that is the SHORTEST ROUTE to the OCEAN. DAMN MIDWESTERN STATES.

Nowheymama said...

Have you tried cashew butter? It is evilly good.

Susan said...

being anywhere in the VICINITY of three-year-olds is a frightening prospect for me. i don't even want to THINK about being in the CAR with THREE of them on a ROADTRIP! *faint* but more power to ya! i think i'll just stick with my quiet ski vacation in utah, thanks.

auntie said...

i had no idea the p.b. was the new downfall of society. i think i'll stay in the dark about this one.

i'm going on vacation next week, actually (yippee!) to visit my grandparents in Oregon. should be a very, very relaxing week, and i need it so bad i can taste it.

boyfriend and i are trying to plan our first "real" vacation together...we started with "let's go to Mexico!" and now we're at "I'd be happy just going to the Oregon Coast..." so we'll see where that goes!

JackeeG4glamorous said...

I kinda like soy. (eh hem) cept you will fart your way into solitary.

Hell with It, I'm on board for peanut butter in moderation.

Caroline C. Bingham said...

Uh, yeah. I'm driving cross country with my four, who will be 3, 4, 5, and 6, this summer.

Then I get to DRIVE BACK.

BY MYSELF.

BOTH TIMES.

hold me.

brklyn said...

PB's no good man. If you wanna eat almond butter cuz it's a much healthier option, do what I do: mix that shit up with equal parts hazelnut spread(nutella).Prolly makes it a wee less healthy what with the palm oil and sugar, but if you use a little less nutella each time and slowly work yourself to straight almond butter it may transition you better to the dirty hippy butter. Just sayin'
PS-No vacations here. Our major trip to NZ from Canada was cancelled at the last minute due to health concerns of the friends who were to be travelling with us. It woulda been 9 people (our two families combined)on a catamaran in the middle of the ocean for 3 weeks. 5 of those people are 8 and under. Maybe better to hunker down and brave the great white north for a few more months, come to think of it.....

Stormy said...

Hubby and I are leaving for a Caribbean cruise on Sunday, alone. Then in May, I'm doing a girls weekend, tubing down the Guadalupe, alone. Then in August, I'm going to Camp Turbo in L.A.,with my sister and another girlfriend. Yep, no kids there either. I'd say 2010 is the year for vacations for mommy without the kids! It's been a long time coming! (We are, however, planning a family trip in the summer...camping in Yellowstone or something of the sort).

Good luck with the road trip. I think with enough toys, crafts, drinks, snacks, movies, games, music, snacks, potty breaks, drinks and toys...you should get along JUST fine! ;-)

Sarah said...

The farthest away we will be driving is to the UP (but in the SUMMER, for goodness sake) for a family reunion. Sadly, I may be one of the only Functional Alcoholics, so it might not be as fun as your reunion. :)

Oh, and Jim keeps TEASING ME with all these good deals he keeps finding for last minute, three night tropical vacations, but then not actually booking anything and waffling because OH THE MONEY MAYBE IT'S DUMB RIGHT NOW and then I'm like "Yeah probably is, but then STOP LOOKING AT APPLE VACATIONS, MKAY? Enough with the torture!"

loni said...

I am with the Sunbutter crowd, since my daughter has the peanut and tree nut allergy. I had to stop eating peanut butter for awhile before I could really enjoy it, but now I think it's darn tasty. They have a crunchy variety with flax seed in it, which tastes flax seedy, but still good.

http://www.sunbutter.com/

Maybe we'll take it with us when we drive to CO this summmer.

the new girl said...

There is such a thing as sunflower-seed nut butter (Sun-nut or something.) To me, it is the most like peanut butter.

I'm with you on the oil/clay. Blech. I even LIKE almonds and I'm not going for that...

Sahara said...

I can't remember if someone already suggested this or not, but just this morning I opened a new jar of almond butter (for the kid and the peanut-free school lunch). It was a NEW! kind of Maranatha no-stir crap that is, like, double blended or something for "a velvety smoothness" or some nonsense (I'm not reading from the jar, but that's what I remember it saying, I could be wrong). It's still not as good as JIF/Peter Pan but it's better than the normal hippie junk. If for some reason you are still committed to trying to eat healthier. Or something.

Also, did you see this?

http://www.nataliedee.com/010710/MW-i-dont-care-what-you-eat-tell-me-about-it-again-and-i-will-eat-YOU.jpg