Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Monday Funday

Ugg! Double ugg! I'm suffering from some serious general malaise today. Which is really pretty standard, since today is TUESDAY, which means yesterday was MONDAY.

You see, Tosc and I do this thing we lamely call "Monday Funday". We never have our kids on Mondays, so we like to go "out on the town" or whatevs. Man, why do I sound so OLD today? With the "you see, COMMA" and the "out on the town"? GAH! Well, anyway, as you may have conjectured (NOT A WORD), Monday Funday typically involves competition-level eating and drinking. And sometimes hanging out in smoky bars, which still exist in Texas, UNFORTCH. (WHY TEXAS?)

So, we like to try new restaurants and bars and such. Last night we tried this one, which was an Irish Pub complete with actual Irish bartender and rowdy soccer teams (we got the bratwurst & cheese platter, thanks for asking). The awesome thing about living in Dallas(ish) is that you can try a new restaurant/bar every Monday for the rest of your life and still never get to all of them. Which sort of fills me with glee, since I come from a town where your restaurant/bar options are pretty much limited to the American Legion (Post 69!) or the casino.

Well, our options are wide open in THEORY, anyway, since Tosc is wicked picky about server/bartenders, mostly because he gets disappointed if he doesn't leave the place without feeling that we're all BFFs 4LIFE!1. He's one of those mysterious creatures who chats up random strangers on the reg. Like, I'll leave to use the restroom, and when I come back he's friended the dude sitting next to us on Facebook. That's based on a true story, btw. Whereas I radiate a distinct forcefield of...not that.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this post, other than away from my work. Anyway. Monday Funday. Definitely one of those things that's downright PLEASANT about the whole divorce/shared custody sitch. Tosc and I get to spend a lot of one-on-one time together focusing just on each other, which is cool. And something not a lot of parents get. It's not the same as going out while the kids are home with a babysitter, you know? It's more like the feeling you get while the kids are away at summer camp. The possibilities are endless!

21 comments:

Jess said...

This sounds like a lovely tradition. Sorry you have to wait six more days until it happens again.

Aggie99 said...

I can't ever decide if I'm jealous or annoyed by those like Tosc who can chat up anyone. Like you, I definitely give off a distinct different forcefield . . . except mine radiates to most social situations, not just bars. :)

Shelly said...

You two are adorable. Heh.

stephanie said...

OMG my husband is like that. And I? Am like you. I admire it but also COME ON.

Alice said...

i used to be a Random Stranger Chatter Supreme, but am developing more and more of the Stay Away Forcefield as i... get older? live in dc longer? unsure, but it's definitely happening.

Nowheymama said...

Our Saturdays were like that when we were dating. It took us a long time after getting engaged/marred to realize that Saturdays are when grownups do work around their homes. A LONG time.

Navigating the Mothership said...

My husband is friend to the world like that. It's fun at things like my 10 year H.S. Reunion (where he left with more friends than I ever has in high school) and an enormous pain in the ass at Target or when I am in task mode.

Sahara said...

The forcefield usually serves me well. It's nice to be in a relationship with someone who is all chatty and whatever. Sometimes. Until he happens to meet another of his own kind, and then there is much foot shifting and watch-glancing and heavy sighing on my part. Don't ever let him near an off-duty real estate agent unless you can wander off and drink alone, is what I'm saying.

d e v a n said...

That sounds like a good way to brighten up a Monday! D&I are more like you, I think though, that we go out SO little that we just want people to kind of leave us alone.

Marie Green said...

Actually, I think it's even different/better than the summer camp feeling, because the kids are with their OTHER PARENTS: ie, the only other people in their life who can/should spend UNLIMITED amount of time with the children w/o any guilty/taking advantage feelings from you or Tosc. (For example, leaving the kids with the grandparents is somewhat similar, but still sliiiightly guilt-producing because they are not the PARENTS. Am I making any sense? Probably not.)

Anyway, as someone who rarely gets alone-adult-only time with my husband, I am jealous (in a happy way) for you two.

Melospiza said...

What's the awesomest is that you & Tosc are organized enough to take full advantage of the Child Away State. Us, it'd be like "children gone? sweet! let's CLEAN THE BATHROOM." Or build shelves. Or spend the entirefuckingday surfing the internet.

JackeeG4glamorous said...

It's like a Perk Program attached to the Divorce Card. Monday Funday. Complete with a punch card and 20% off certain platters. Or 2 for 1 beers.
What does Freaky Friday consist of, or do Inquiring Minds want to know. TMI?

Maria said...

What's "on the reg"?

Tess said...

On the reg=On the regular, aka often. It IS sort of a weird phrase, and I'm not sure why I'm so fond of it. BUT I AM.

Sarah said...

Jim and I are picky about wait service, too, but we're kind of the opposite of Tosc- you LOSE points if you are uber friendly to the point of inquiring about our kids' names and ages and standing there chatting with us long after our order's have been placed. I appreciate friendliness, but we're not here to talk to YOU. THE STRANGER.

Moderndayhermit said...

When I moved back to Dallas I was so pleased with all of the restaurant options that I promptly stopped cooking and didn't get back into the habit for another month. At least.

Being a divorced parent can suck balls but I will say that the scheduled parenting days off are pretty swell.

Type (little) a aka Michele said...

But why isn't Tosc MY facebook friend?????

SLynnRo said...

Tosc is like my dad in this regard. I also emit NOT THAT.

Katie said...

Please. Stop making me want a divorce just so I can have Funday Monday.

Swistle said...

Oh hey. You gonna make it a full month without posting OR WHAT.

Sahara said...

HA! What she said.