Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Update on the Lady Biz!

So, in keeping with my OTHER policy of impulse-purchasing medical procedures, I got an IUD inserted this morning! Whee! Excruciating detail to follow, so last chance to get off of the ride, pansies and/or men.

I decided to go with the Mirena, partially because of the comments on the last post, and partially because of the volumes of information I read online. It was a really, really tough decision. If there's one thing you learn researching birth control, it's that the experience of any one person is completely irrelevant. For every RAVE REVIEW of any one method, there is another tale of HORROR AND MISERY for the same method. So, it's a crap shoot. Pure and simple. Basically, you just have to pick a method, and hope for the best. So, that's what I did. If I may crudely/shallowly break it down for you, the main appeals of the Mirena were lighter/nonexistent periods, higher sex drive (hormonal benefit for me), and bigger boobs (I said crude/shallow! BACK OFF!). Anyway, I felt it was worth at least TRYING.

I wasn't too worried about the insertion (scheduled during my cycle, plus I've had a vaginal delivery), and I shouldn't have been: it was cake. I mean, see above re: the experience of any one person, but honestly. I've had flossing experiences more painful than that. I didn't feel anything while she measured my uterus (6 inches, thanks for asking!), and felt just a little pinch when she used the "grasper" (LADY PART PLIERS, who are we kidding) to grab...whatever it is she needed to grab. Then, the IUD was placed, which just felt like a slight cramp. Done and done. The whole works took about 10 minutes, plus another 5 for the vaginal ultrasound to ensure it was placed correctly.

So, with an entire 3 hours under my belt, I heartily recommend the Mirena! If it doesn't work for you, it's clearly some YOU DID and/or you are a freak! HA! HAHA! FUCK.

Erm. Anyway, I am happy that I had the balls to try it. I'm wicked nervous that I won't like it. As an added hand-wringer, my insurance does not cover contraception (SARCASTIC SLOW CLAP). This makes the Mirena a VERY EXPENSIVE mistake should it be an epic fail.

Ah well, the sunk cost theory applies, right? Sigh. If this doesn't work, I'm going to have to get some kind of Capital Improvements Referendum slash SEX TAX passed, I'll tell you that much.

28 comments:

Amanda said...

I love the sunk cost theory and use it regularly. Most people, when I explain it to them, have a deer in headlights look. Like, why haven't I been telling myself that all along?

Mary O said...

Welcome to the Mirena club. I'm a whole 3 months into it, myself, and haven't had any adverse side effects. I was worried about all of the same things you were.

And what's up with insurance co's not paying for BC??? Wouldn't they figure out that it's cheaper than paying for a whole punch of unplanned pregnancies? I had to pay for my Mirena out of pocket also... but it is worth it when you don't have to worry about BC for 5 years.

d e v a n said...

Good luck! I hope it works great for you!

Type (little) a aka Michele said...

Congrats! Commence the worry-free boning.

Jess said...

OK this thing about your insurance? PISSES ME OFF. SERIOUSLY. ARGH.

Still, glad it's working! At least for the first three hours! Keep us posted, please.

Elizabeth said...

I meant to post on the last one, but I love the Mirena! I had it for 5 years and then recently had it replaced. And I hate to be Rubby McInster, but my insurance paid it in full each time. I cannot BELIEVE your insurance doesn't cover BC. That is crap.

Christina Schmidt said...

I haven't commented in a long time but still never fail to crack me up!

Also, what is with the contraception not being covered and yet? VIAGRA is? The fuck I say.

Alias Mother said...

Few things in this world make my blood boil as much as insurance not paying for contraception. Grrr...aaargh!

Makes no sense, insurance companies. No sense at all.

Tess said...

Seriously. Tosc, who had PREMATURE TWINS as a result of an unplanned pregancy, said the same thing. $500 for an IUD is sounding pretty good after PREMATURE TWINS, isn't it, insurance company? JESUS.

Shelly said...

Cool! Yeah, keep us posted on the Mirena. Definitely interested to hear how it works out in the long term.

Alice said...

christ, do you work for the effing CATHOLIC CHURCH? arrrghhh *dissolves into frothing mess*

AHEM. anyway. am fascinated to hear updates on this subject, as i find nearly all conceptiony/ladybit talk fascinating. like possibly to a creepy degree.

The Gori Wife said...

Uh, didn't I hear something about Mirena and some hang-y strings? Or am I getting that wrong?

Maggie said...

Damned insurance companies. What a crock of shit. That is all.

Tess (too!) said...

Yay! Good luck. I'm glad the insertion went well.

BOO! Insurance companies that don't cover contraception - makes NO sense. Some states (mine included) require them to...so totally cheaper than prenatal care/delivery costs for an unplanned pregnancy!

Gori Wife: There are strings attached to the end of the device, after a few days they get soft and warm and end up curled around the cervix. They are important, as they are what you use to pull out the IUD when you're done with it!

Re. the cost - it only takes a year for an IUD to become cost effective birth control. So stick it out for that long and you'll have already recouped your costs! Hopefully you'll love it, though, and it won't be a problem at all.

artemisia said...

Woo! IuDs rock!

It KILLS me - KILLS ME DEAD - when insurance companies don't cover birth control. Do the math, and leave the moralizing to the churches, ok?

Tess said...

I'm going to have to call bullshit on the one-year payback. The cost of the Mirena, including office visits for insertion and checkup was $800 (!!!!), since my insurance doesn't pay for any of it.

The cost of my birth control pills was $9 per month, plus a $20 annual exam copay.

HOWEVER. I do think it's worth it, provided I like the Mirena and don't have to yank it after a few months and start all over again. That's what I'm afraid of.

sarahbb said...

I will very happily latch onto one rave review and run with it, so I'm glad that's what's happening here.

I am very interested in the lighter/nonexistent period aspect, so I hope you keep us updated. I'm thinking $800 would be a decent price to pay for that.

Swistle said...

I was riveted in this whole story, and I think it's safe to say I am UNBOREABLE on this topic. The IUD is one of the only BC methods I haven't tried---in part because of the cost, and in part because of the sound of "the string."

Laura said...

Oh my goodness, Tess! Have I missed you and your wit. I am so glad that you're back and visible and doing well. Now I have to catch up!

Fay said...

Insurance companies suck ass. That is all.

Melissa said...

GAH - the insurance companies not paying for birth control. How it pisses me off.

WAAY back when I NEEDED birth control (no I am not that old, only 40) I had to pay out of pocket too. Meanwhile a friend of mine had TWO abortions in the same year that were covered. Her abortions costed at least 10 times what my one year of birth control pills costed.

JackeeG4glamorous said...

{fallen and can't get up at $800 for the insertion of IUD} DAMN, I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE GONE TO F*ing med school.

Fingers crossed it works for you. Although, a cute little baby boy named Littly Toscie would be nice someday.
I was always scared of hormones for a variety of reasons - and until husband had vasectomy LIVED IN FEAR. Now next post...let's talk about 20 years post vasectomy folks. That's where the Viagra comes in. (Seriously, theres soemthing they don't tell horn dog husbands...it's called SCAR tissue and the problems this will cause as you age. Boo, hiss.)
The end.

JackeeG4glamorous said...

P.S. Sorry about all they typos in the first post.
P.S.S. Will be moving to TX if hubby knows I discussed viagra, scar tissue and all with the internets. So, ALL OF YOU NETS KEEP YOUR DAMN MOUTHS SHUT m'kay?

love ya, mean it.

g~ said...

About to have IUD removed next year (quiet sob) after 5 years. It's been mostly fab. The only thing I do not like is that I never know when I'm being a crazy bitch or just period-y hormonal since (and this is THE HUGE PERK), I haven't had a period in nearly 5 years.
Also, I paid $1200 or so out of pocket for it and would pay it again 'cept the husband got it snipped. Husband, btw, would LOVE for me to get another because he loves the fact that I don't have a period.

Stormy said...

I love my Mirena!! I'm glad you are having success so far. I remember feeling sort of bloated for the first 2 or 3 days after insertion. Beyond that, I had kind of random spotting for a couple of months followed by VERY light periods ever since. Nothing that a panty liner can't take care of...THAT light. It's awesome!!

As far as the strings, I know they tell you to check them every month or something, but, I checked them the first couple of months and haven't since. I just don't worry about it. Hubby has never ever felt them, so that also hasn't been a problem. Yearly, the doc checks it's placement and all is well. I had it put in May of 2007 and have been pleased as punch.

BTW, I was worried about the hormones, too. I had the crazies on the pill, and also libido in the shitter. With Mirena, I DO still tend to have PMS-like irritability and the libido waxes and wanes. I wish it would just stay as high as Hubby, but, heh...that is unlikely to EVER happen.

Anyway, all that to say, good luck! I hope the investment is totally worth it for you!

Blondie said...

I'm 3.5 years into my Mirena and LOVE it. The first couple of months sucked, lots of spotting, but I haven't had a period since then.

Hubby can't feel the strings or anything- no worries there.

My insurance covered the whole deal, so I guess I was lucky on that one.

bingo woman said...

Good luck to your Mirena experience. I also believe we only have the power to make our own choices for birth control. No matter what other people will say about a certain product/method, it doesn't guarantee that we will have the same experience. However, we just can't take their statements for granted. In this case, you will have your opinion while your using it and others can learn from your experience and try it for themselves if they'll choose to and have their own perhaps different experience.

Bathwater said...

Love your writing. But I think an unplanned pregnancy is a "very expensive mistake" too.