Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Settle in for some Lady Talk

So, I had my annual gynecological examination today. Sorry to just put that out there. I'm afraid I cannot be bothered to come up with a clever euphemism at the moment. The best I could think of was the annual "check under the hood", and that is so thoroughly horrifying (HOOD!) I can barely type it. (And yet).

This was my third attempt in as many weeks, and as a result I have to tell you that I am DONE seeing a GYN who is also an OB. Every appointment (at her office 20 MILES AWAY) is a fucking crap shoot! Will there or will there not be a baby from the eligible pool emerging within a 2-hour window +/- the time of my appointment? Magic 8 ball says: LIKELY.

Anyway, this brings me to my point(ish). Does anyone have experience with a copper (non-hormonal) IUD? I'm thinking of getting one...inserted (GAH). I'm kind of DONE with taking the pill. I took it for years without issue, but since I've had Ava, I just don't tolerate it well. My boobs hurt all the time, I have PMS (aka BURNING RAGE), which I never had before, and, if you must know, this summer I got that weird melasma thing that made me look like I had a fucking mustache! Um. UNACCEPTABLE. I can handle a lot of things, but an unwaxable mustache is where I draw the line.

I tried a very low-dose pill when I was breastfeeding, and I felt even WORSE on that. Like first-trimester-of-pregnancy worse. Which was nice.

I would prefer to be on NOTHING, honestly. However. That is not going to work.

So. The non-hormonal IUD! Or perhaps someone is aware of some type of voodoo curse? Rhythm method? (HAHAHAHA!) Fervent prayer? Wow, I sure am thrilled with all of the wonderful and non-invasive birth control options available to me in the year of our Lord Two Thousand and Nine! Uch.

37 comments:

Fay said...

I will take this opportunity (or any opportunity) to preach the gospel of my progestin-only pills. No estrogen. I was taken off estrogen when I was diagnosed with high blood pressure at age 30. No mood swings, same dose every day, and as a happy side effect (in, I believe, about one-third of people who take it), I have NO PERIODS. It is AWESOME. (The other two-thirds generally have much lighter periods.) (The progestin keeps your uterine lining very thin, see.) (I am super geeky about my awesome pillz!)

rockygrace said...

Since you asked .... I'm on Depo and I love it. You get a shot once every twelve weeks, and that's it! And I haven't had a period since, let's see ... 1997. Whoopie!

Type (little) a aka Michele said...

I didn't even finish reading after IUD. I had a copper IUD for a year, due to being on migraine meds that interfered with hormonal birth control.

WORST YEAR OF MY LIFE.

First of all, I got psycho periods from hell. They lasted 10 days and looked like a crime scene.

Second, one day, I had a sharp pain in my side. The fucking thing had slipped. I had to get it yanked and another one placed.

I finally decided to get rid of after getting weird pains in my side for months at a time. They resolved completely once it came out.

Cara said...

Delurking here...
I got a copper IUD (paragard) in August and I love it. Love. It. I did a lot of research ahead of time (thank you, livejournal - http://community.livejournal.com/iud_divas), and I was very nervous because a lot of people had terrible cramps when they got theirs and had to remove their iud. I decided to get one anyway.

Following the suggestions of others, I scheduled my appointment for when I had my period (your cervix is more open, making it easier to insert it) and I took 4 advil prior.

The insertion was practically pain free. I did have mild cramps that day and the next. Side effects of the copper iud are increased cramping and increased bleeding. Now, I never ever get cramps during my period, so the "increased cramps" meant that I had very minor cramps. I also def had increased bleeding as I was heavy for 4-5 days (I'm normally heavy for 2 days). That said, by my third month my period was back to normal - no cramping and the same amount of bleeding.

The biggest benefit? The psychological one. It is the most effective birth control except for abstinence and sterility. 99.something % effective! I was just using condoms before (i hate being on hormones), so the relief is huge.

Type (little) a aka Michele said...

Oh I wish I'd read the whole thing before commmenting. This is what I would/should have said:

You should just be abstaining. SINNER.

Sarah said...

I know my sister in law did an IUD and hated it- she never had a PERIOD, per se, but just random spotting all the time.
I also know several people who have gotten pregnant on it because it was "inserted wrong." Which... what the heck? Maybe it is really significant at what point in your cycle you get it put in, so that it, eh, STAYS?
I dunna. Myself, I prefer rhthym method, condoms or pull and pray. I know they're not failproof, but I'm not even allowed to be on the regular pill, the low-dose made me, too, feel INSANE.
I too think the array of appealing bc choices is just DIZZYING with promise! If only I could use them ALL!

Katie said...

I wanted the copper one, but after my OB said "we had a rash of pregnancies last year with the non hormonal one" I went with the hormonal one (Mirena). Maybe it was the word RASH or possibly the word PREGNANCIES that freaked me the fuck out. She said the amt of hormones each week is so small (like ONE of those mini-pills...or something.)

Spotting on and off for a while afterwards. Occasional weird spotting. But it RULES. I LOVE not having to take a pill. And no worrying about anything.....I would recommend it. 5 years of birth control in one visit.

Lola said...

I have the Mirena, which does emit hormones, but I LOVE it. My sister has the paraguard because she also didn't tolerate the pill very well and LOVES it. I vote yes on the IUD, of either type.

artemisia said...

Oh, my! I have the copper IUD and I LOVE IT. As much as you love something that has been INSERTED (gah-gah)into your ladybits.

I chose the copper one because I was through with hormones. They were not helping the RAGING CRAZY one bit.

It is soooooooo worth it. 10 years of birth control! And you never have to think about it.

I posted about it here: http://sagebrushandserendipity.blogspot.com/2007/06/weekend-wrap-up.html

Anonymous said...

OK, so I know the IUD is supposed to be more effective than the pill ... but I know just as many people who have gotten pregnant with an IUD inserted as those who took their pill RELIGIOUSLY. How scary is that to have a sweet fetus hanging out next to your IUD ... no thank you.

I'd suggest trying another pill, a shot, or the patch. My girlfriend loves her patch - Depo made her a psycho (but I've heard that if you're prone to psycho/depression/anxiety/etc. that Depo often has that reaction ... no Depo for me).

I also have terrible PMS. If I wasn't trying to get pregnant, I would strongly consider one of the pills that only gives you a period 1 to 4 times a year ... that way, I figure I'm only a shithead/bleeding 2 to 8 weeks out of the year instead of half the damn year.

TMI?

artemisia said...

Oh, also? I had like two heavy periods with cramps and now they are totally normal. Regular. No cramping, no excessive anything. Piece. of. cake.

artemisia said...

Read up on Depo. I want to say it decreases bone density? SCARY.

Tess said...

I am really, REALLY leaning towards something with NO HORMONES. Even the progesterone-only thing doesn't much appeal, because of my experience with the mini-pill.

Also, the insertion part doesn't really scare me (much), because 1) I've had a vaginal delivery and 2) I still have some Vicadin left over from my dental surgery. Heh.

ALSO also, I've been off of the pill for long periods of time before and my periods/cramping/etc. are exactly the same as when I'm ON the pill. So I don't worry that that will get much worse.

BUT, it would be nice to (potentially) not have a period at all, and also the poking/stabbing/slipping sensations do not appeal.

Tess (too!) said...

Preface this comment with the following: I work in Ob/Gyn, in research, so we're constantly running clinical trials on the latest and greatest contraception. Including what works/what's easiest/what's the most tolerated. Every single woman I work with has the Mirena IUD. Everyone. Myself included. We are obviously fans. That being said, no one method is right for everyone, and we are the biggest proponents of that theory out there. Well, amongst the biggest. ;)

IUD insertions are not usually that painful. When they are bad, I know they are horrible for people, but by and large they go really well. Because you have Ava, I'm sure you will be a supah stah at the insertion.

Alright. Back to the Copper IUD topic at hand. Some people LOVE them. Like, love them love them. Some people HATE them. Trials have definitely shown that if you have a bit of a tough period normally, like heavy bleeding and cramps, then it is likely to make those symptoms worse. If you are a troopah, then I'm sure you would be fine. The providers I work with are reluctant to suggest them, just because it can be a rough adjustment for some people, whereas life with the Mirena gets much easier. If you are anti-hormone, it is definitely the way to go. And 10 years of contraception, wowza, would that be nice!

Just my unsolicited two cents: I would strongly encourage you to disentangle your experience with the mini-pill from what a Mirena IUD would be like. Yes, they contain the same hormone. BUT. The mini pill contains it in much higher dosages - the Mirena only uses a tiny little bit. I tried the mini pill prior to Mirena and I LOATHED the mini-pill. Weight gain up the wazoo for me, plus tender boobies and etc. I stopped after a few months. I have had a 100% different experience with the Mirena. None of the yuckies.

If you want in on a little secret, locally delivered medications (like Mirena delivering hormone straight to the organ in question) are the way of the future in treating women's health problems...mark my words. ;)

Jess said...

I totally want an IUD. I fully intend to have one inserted the second I give birth. Seriously.

Amanda said...

I have had two copper IUDS. One between kids, and the last one for the past seven years. Insertion was relatively easy, periods are totally normal, 28 days. I have never had an issue ever.

Now about the melasma, I randomly developed one this past spring as well. Doc says it will go away on its own. WHEN? I've tried four different creams. Is yours still visible?

ccr in MA said...

I don't have the advice thing, but just wanted to say that my GYN "retired" from the OB side last year, and it's such a relief to me. He seems much less likely to be running late, even! Maybe yours will do that, too.

Good luck with your lady stuff.

JackeeG4glamorous said...

I am WAY over having kids, on NO SUCH Birth control, and just approaching menopause. (there, I've said it, I drying up DAMN it) and one day last summer I walked into the bathroom accross the hall from my office. In the flourescent lighting I looked like Ringo Starr with the most God Awful goutee! Hairless goutee-the melasma! It went away gradually over the winter. Then I got a patch on my neck, looks like a huge hickey. All summer, people said, "hey, what's wrong with your neck?" Haters.
It really sucks being a woman sometimes. But at lease we don't have to suffer the humiliation of those ED commercials. Tossing a football through a tire swing...GAG.

Erin said...

I am SO interested in these comments. I reeeeally want a non-hormonal option too, for all the reasons you mention and also including hormones make me feel LAZY and TIRED and HUNGRY. Bad combo.

But Type(little)a made me definitely nervous about that. WHY IS THERE NOT A BETTER OPTION?

It's funny, because I basically work for the Good Ol' Boys Club (i.e., state game agency) and ALL THOSE GUYS get snipped when they're done with baby making. Is that just WONDERFUL? My husband gets pale and WIMPery when I bring it up.

d e v a n said...

omg I hate birth control "options." Luckily this is our last baby and dh is getting snipped.
I have heard great things about the IUD's though, and also have known 3 people who had to have surgery to get them removed. So it seems people either have really good luck with them or reeeeeeeeally bad luck...

kate said...

I've had the copper IUD for about two and a half years, since right after the birth of my daughter. Hormonal birth control is off-limits to me for medical reasons.

I wouldn't say I love it, mostly because my periods have been quite a bit heavier than they used to be and the cramps quite a bit worse. Also, early on, I had a series of bacterial infections which I had never had beforehand and which i know is a side effect of the copper IUD.

On the other hand, the heavier period might just be a result of not knowing what my normal period is like - I was on the pill for over a decade, and then I was pregnant, so I don't really have a good frame of reference. And as a teenager I had really awful cramps - this is nothing like that. The bacterial infections were early on, easily cured and don't seem to be recurring anymore.

Given my limited options, it's definitely my favored option. I like not having to think about birth control. If I could take hormones, I'd probably choose the Mirena IUD, or at least try the Mirena IUD, but I'm not sure I wouldn't end up in the same place, because, apart from the medical reasons, in the end I hated the pill.

kate said...

Also: absolutely no poking/stabbing/slipping sensations on my part. No problems like that at all - can't even feel it.

Marie Green said...

If I ever got an IUD, it would be a the copper one. I just don't like the hormones for all the reasons you stated, plus the idea of supressing ovulation for extending periods (HA!) of time sorta freaks me out...

I work in the industry, so to speak, and I talk to pregnant women ALL THE TIME. I've never met or even heard of anyone getting prego using the copper IUD. I've also only heard happy reports of people who have them.

Also, it must be said that the drug company that makes Mirena has some wicked marketing. IMO that is why so many providers recommend it. I think if you find a (normal) midwife she would be more likely to support copper IUD's. (They don't take many kickbacks from drug reps.)

Please update us on the results of whatever you decide!

Marie Green said...

PS. I also should have mentioned, just for the sake of fair play, that the hormones released in the Mirena IUD are much more localized than taking the pill. So they usually cause less problems. But still: they suppress ovulation for YEARS. Which freaks me out.

Erin said...

I know a couple of people who have them and LOVE them!

Alice said...

i have no helpful info - i've been happily on various versions of the Pill for 12 years now, and i love it to death, so.. uh.. no help here! - but i am FASCINATED by these comments. also i do not envy you, since basically every option has someone announcing it is AWFUL NOOOO DON'T DOOO IIIT.

so! um, good luck? :-)

Anonymous said...

No one has mentioned the ring!

I had the mirena IUD for two years with no problem and no period, then out of nowhere my boobs hurt first-trimester style, I was filled with rage, and never wanted to have sex. Hormonal pills have not worked for me, I used to smoke so my doctor would not do the patch, and I have a hard time with sex drive and contraception which...heh funny.

My doctor described the difference with pills and the ring like hills. With the pill, each day you get this slam of hormone that gradually wears off during the day, over and over day after day. With the ring there is no slam, it's a gradual up and a gradual down.

I was skeeved out about the ring, but I actually ended up liking it a lot. You can take it out if it's bothersome during sex, which it never was, but it's nice to have the option, for up to three hours. You cannot take out the IUD, and it poked my husband in the peep, painfully, every time we had sex. I may consider the copper IUD if we were going to wait a loooong time before having another kid, but I'd rather he get snipped. Otherwise, I would stick with the ring.

Nowheymama said...

I am loving all of these personal stories. I feel much more informed about what limited options there are.

Tess said...

Re: the melasma--it's definitely less noticeable than it was this summer, when I spent quite a bit of time in the sun (as I always do). But, I still notice it.

bananafana said...

Oh lord do I HATE THE PILL! Cannot scream that loud enough. It makes me an absolute bitch which everyone in the house loved once upon a time I'm sure. My cousin had a copper IUD and I know it caused all sorts of problems. That was ages ago though so who knows. We've tried a bit of everything and I thought all birth control was horrible until we finally could proceed with The Snip. Let me just say that method? If it is an option? Just absolutely rules. Couldn't be happier. So really, for someone who wants more kids in the future, I'm totally unhelpful.

Stephanie said...

I get the melasma and the only thing that works is a prescription cream called TriLuma. The best thing to do for it is tons of sunscreen and wear a hat. If it fades, it will come right back if you get in the sun. It can take a few years to go away, even after you are off the pill. IT SUCKS!

Alias Mother said...

God, these comments are fascinating. I have nothing to add, since all I've tried is 1) a few types of Pill which made me varying degrees of Krazy and 2) condoms and "being careful" which is why I am now pregnant. I am considering an IUD afterward, so I'm practically taking notes over here.

Anonymous said...

Love my IUD. Love not having to take a pill. But I was siezed with some sort of odd desire to be mother earthy and go with the non hormonal on and I totally regret it. Not enough to go have it taken out and replaced with the hormonal one, but I still wish I had gone with the hormones (DRUGS are ALWAYS the answer). My periods are so unbearably heavy and long. And for the first year, it seemed like I just had one long light period for months. I ruin every pair of undies I have.

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I CANNOT EVER be on anything hormonally-related again, which kind of,umm, limits the options. Finally, my OB/GYN recommended an IUD, and I'm on my second coppr one and aside from occassionally worse cramps? LOVE IT. Have it for 3.5-5 years, depending on the brand, cheap, and EFFECTIVE.
The Pill was bad, yo (like, blood clots and pain and rat poison, oh my, and all this at 18-f*cking years old, WTF??, even my OB/GYN was SHOCKED. I'm an anomaly apparently). Tried Depo - worst two years of my life - was NOT one of the 'period-free' lucky ones.

Andrea said...

I absolutely LOVE my copper IUD:

1. I'm losing weight without even trying.
2. No more PMS.
3. I don't have to think about birth control. For an airhead like me, who even forgot to insert/remove her Nuvaring, this kicks ass.

But - the bummers are:

1. My migraines are back. I guess the pill/nuvaring were protecting me from them for the last 10 years.
2. Horrible cramps are back. But the heavy heavy periods went away after about the fourth cycle.

Anonymous said...

I've had a copper IUD for over a year now with no problems. The first period was heavy and it did feel "funny" for a little while but my doctor gave me a follow-up check a month after it was inserted to make sure it was "in the right place" which I think is standard here (I live in France). Anyway, I wanted to get off hormones because I have migraines and I hadn't been on the pill that long prior so I remember what my periods were like before and if anything they are lighter now or at least perfectly normal. Only the first two were heavy. So for me there have been zero negatives so far.
Good luck!

Farrell said...

I am both fascinated and horrified.
I currently do not have a need for birth control (unfortunately) but I did a lot of research on the Mirena and have several friends who have it and if I ever do meet a boy and decide to have sex again (PLEASE because I am NOT trying to be a nun!!), I will totally get the Mirena.
After reading comments, I will never EVER get the DEPO.
And I am SO DONE with the pill. It makes me crazy and cranky and hungry and fat.
I'm worried about the pregnancy on IUD comments though - UM, YIKES!!!!