Friday, September 18, 2009

Fun Fact Friday: Daycare Tales!

*There are two sisters at Ava's daycare named Smith and Collier. If you're into the last-name-as-first-name thing, I think that's pretty cute.

*In the lobby of the school, there is a (@#$*&) MERRY-GO-ROUND. Worst. Idea. Ever.

*Ava attends a "Stretch-and-Grow" class during the school day, and they do different exercises to music and blah de blah. Anyway, yesterday she came home singing a song with the following refrain: "Obliques! OBLIQUES OBLIQUES OBLIQUES!". I mean, really. REALLY?

*I recently learned that although I feed Ava breakfast every day, she ALSO eats breakfast at school! Ha! Well played, my friend. Well played.

*Many of the other parents work at a nearby hospital, and therefore the school used to be open 24 hours a day. They have a special "dorm" room filled with beds, showers, etc. Man. If there's anything more depressing than overnight daycare, I don't know what it is.

*I continue to be the most lazy daycare mother EVER. It's even BETTER now that I can play chicken with Carlos to get HIM to take care of stuff like emptying her "art" file. Because *I* can ignore shit like that all the livelong day, whereas I know it drives HIM around the fucking BEND. And, he can't even nag/harass me about it! WHEE!

21 comments:

Nowheymama said...

I've been complaining about our high-maintenance, two-day-a-week preschool. I'll stop now.

Jess said...

The two breakfast thing is BRILLIANT.

LoriD said...

Those names are actually pretty cute for little girls.

Lisa used to do the same thing with breakfast and still ate a full lunch; dinner, not so much.

Alice said...

i have a new roommate right now who i actually really like, so i don't want to piss him off, but if i DID? i think he's a Carlos and boy oh boy can i do things like ignore when the trash needs to be taken out.. :-)

-R- said...

I like those names too. I don't know if I would use them for sisters, but since no one asked me, I guess it's ok.

One of the daycares we looked at had a big indoor playground when you first walked, which I thought was nice for the kids during winter and such, but you just made me realize the problems with having to walk past a playground without stopping every day.

Obliques? That is funny. Odd, but funny.

Melospiza said...

The merry-go-round thing sounds like it was thought up by the same people who stocked grocery stores with those enormous, impossible-to-steer "car" carts (fight #1 at the store) and then the damn mechanical pony at the end (fight #38, though it does sometimes work as an effective behavior bribe).

My oldest used to do the two-breakfast thing, too. Of course, it's hard to turn down french toast sticks and a barrel o syrup. Now he won't eat a thing in the morning, though. Just a sip of milk and a slice or two of fresh peach, like he's some tragic heroine fainting on a couch.

Julienne said...

Second breakfast! Girl after my own heart!

d e v a n said...

That last one makes me laugh out loud!
Overnight daycare sounds reeeeallly depressing.

stephanie said...

I like those names, but my husband would DIE LAUGHING over the very thought.

Naming children is like a fight to the death between us.

Also, overnight daycare? That is the most depressing thing EVER. I'm having a hard enough time bringing Olivia to regular daycare in two weeks. 100 yards away from me.

Anonymous said...

Dude, Ava is 100% your kid with the scamming of extra breakfasts. She's made of awesome.

Shelly said...

Imagining the "obliques" song in a three-yr-old voice is cracking my shit up. That's awesome. And full bonus points to Ava for scamming two breakfasts a day.

artemisia said...

Hee hee. I love how you play the art file. Well done.

Farrell said...

You and commenter Melospiza crack me up. I especially love her last line about the tragic hero.

Alias Mother said...

The obliques thing is killing me. For gawd's sake, forget the crunches! Just let them play! (Um, that's where the obliques are, right? In the abs?)

Overnight daycare suggests to me that there is something seriously effed up with our culture. Seriously.

And I applaud your creative methods of slowly, unobtrusively making your ex crazy. You are a woman of talent, persistence, and creativity, indeed.

Hardy said...

Don't get too upset about the obliques song...Ava is going to need as much "stretch and grow" exercise as she can get. Wish they would have had that at my daycare.

Becky said...

Ava rocks for scamming two breakfasts..a gal after my own heart!

Swistle said...

Overnight daycare does seem depressing, mostly because I'm imagining working while the child is asleep and quiet, and then coming home just as the child is AWAKE and READY TO PLAY!

amber said...

This two breakfast thing is proof that Ava takes after you, eh? :)

Daycare Girl said...

ALL my kids eat second breakfasts. It doesn't even occur to me to ask whether or not they've had something before they get to me, so it always surprises me when a parent will say, oh, they didn't eat this morning so they might be extra hungry. They all eat like linebackers no matter what they had at home.

Usually I use my Hobbit voice and talk about second breakfasts and elevensies and tea. We eat all day long, seems like.

Farrell said...

Tess,
Since you are no fuss, I am looking for no fuss ideas for my daughter's upcoming 5th birthday party. Got any?
http://nogainnoloss.blogspot.com/2009/09/birthday-party-dilemma.html
Thanks:)

auntie said...

Ha! Two breakfasts = AWESOME!!