Monday, December 29, 2008

Well, That Went Off The Rails With The Quickness

So, I was thinking a good way to take advantage of your (hypothetical) elation over the new blog would be to slap you with a meme, like straight out of the gate. I popped over to Linda's and grabbed her end-of-year dealie, which, incidentally, I then HIGHLIGHTED and PRINTED, all old-school (WHY?). My carbon footprint could have been made with a GLACIER, I'll tell you that much.

ANYHOO, I was reading over the meme questions, and mentally composing my Debbie Downer answers, and thinking to myself that this thing is going to be followed by a significant Long Awkward Pause, because SRSLY. So depressing. And even though I distinctly remember reading these last year and lamenting all of the Life Is Beautiful answers, I hate to take things TOO far in the other direction.

So let's do this: I'll pick and choose which questions I want to answer, possibly changing the question entirely to suit my (crabby) needs! ALRIGHTY! Don't give me any lip, either. You know you're going to skim anyway, if you haven't already Marked As Read in a fit of indignant rage.

Let's get this out of the way, first thing: I am sadder, and fatter, and poorer than this time last year. And listen, I don't want to be a total sour-grape-munching bitch (DIRTY!), and I offer my hearty congratulations to all of you "happier, thinner, richer" people, I really do, but at least ONE of you Pollyannas had better pony up to being sadder. It seems statistically unlikely that we ALL keep getting happier, and HAPPIER, and HAPPIER, with each passing year, is ALL I'M SAYING. I don't want to get all math-y on you, and I know historically we've not attached any kind of HAPPINESS MULTIPLIER, and therefore this is only an estimate, but we've been doing this meme for a few years now, and some of you are approaching a Happiness Value that is off of the acceptable grid. Just PUMP THE BRAKES for a few years, mkay? Is that so hard? Erm. That sort of came out in a vaguely creepy misery-loves-company way, when really I just wanted to point out the MATH, and...oh, nevermind.

Whoa. What the hell HAPPENED to this post? Have we even answered any actual questions yet? Well, I guess I should pace myself and stop here. Actually, wait, I have time for one more!

Instead of answering question #24, regarding the best book I read this year, I would like to tell you about the WORST book I read in 2008. The Time Travelers Wife. That's right. You heard me.

45 comments:

Lindsay said...

This may be the best Christmas present I received. News of this via MWT in my Google Feeder.

Welcome back girl! You were MISSED.

Anonymous said...

I have such love for your comment warning. And, um, I would APPRECIATE IT if you would give me a prize for being the first person to comment and also admit that YEAH, I still had you on feed reader. However if I hadn't, where would I be now? I would be feeling my way through a vast blind fog, not knowing you were updating. Like all the rest of your readers, it seems because wtf? NO COMMENTS? Would it have KILLED YOU TO EMAIL? Who loves ya Texxie

Elizabeth said...

Yay! You're back! I missed ya.

Would it make you feel better if I admitted that I can't even remember last year?

Anonymous said...

Lindsay sux.

Emily said...

Glad you're back!

I started to fill it out too, but then got kind of sidetracked because it was depressing, so maybe that will make you feel better?

(Also! This is Emily from Emily is Enceinte. . . I changed some things.)

Anonymous said...

YAY!

Petunia Face said...

It's a Christmas Miracle! I just might believe in Jesus now! Oh, thank you thank you!

As for the happier schlock? Bish pls. I am sadder, fatter, more pathetic and crazier than last year, and last year wasn't all that great to begin with.

Welcome back!

loni said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
loni said...

The Time Traveler's Wife....WORST Book?? Are you kidding me?? I LOVED that book. Seriously. I loved it. Sorry, my friend. You now must explain your dislike of said novel. (I'm glad your back on the blogsphere!)

Jess said...

I always think about that question too. I am one of those annoying happier thinner richer people at the moment. But life is a curve right? So I'm still on the upward trajectory and I'm just hoping that I don't peak and then drop off entirely and instead there are just a few hills and valleys with an overall upward trend.

Anonymous said...

Well, it is ABOUT FRIGGIN TIME!
Ok, you your sadder and fatter,but how is The Girl?
Should have been a good Christmas with her age & all.
Glad to have you back.

Anonymous said...

So glad you're back!!

el-e-e said...

One of the things I almost edited MY meme to say was:

Who did you miss? Tessie!

(Seriously.)

Anonymous said...

You hated The Time Travelers Wife AND The Road?

Well, this is awkward.

I guess we won't talk about books if we ever meet face-to-face, hrm?

P.S. SO glad you're back!

el-e-e said...

Also: I, too, hated that book.

Elizabeth said...

I'm so excited! I saw you in my reader and actually said out loud (at work) "Yippee!" Then had to make up a reason when my co-worker questioned my sudden outburst.

So, I added your new blog to my reader and put it in a folder called "new ones," even though you aren't new. I did it because I tend to not read anything from that folder and I was feeling SORRY for them and knew I would read your updates.

Lizzie said...

Well, Hi! I'm glad you're still kicking! The internets have missed you. Hm. I think I'm happy (not -ier, I think), definitely fatter, and quite a bit poorer this year. And? I also HATED the Time Traveler's Wife.

stephanie said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH i haven't even READ the posts yet, I'm so excited!!

Welcome back!

Katie said...

I knew it paid to be a slacker.

Well. I am definitely DEFINITELY fatter this year. And more haggard. Joy.

I was just thinking this last week that I missed reading your sarcastic blogs and how other people just weren't as funny and how it sucked (for me) that you had disappeared from the Internet. And now you're back. And it seems we are all happier about that than you are. Which, is.....sad. So now I'm sad too.

Cass. Just Curious said...

Glad you're back. Happy or otherwise.

Tess said...

I'm happy to be back! I AM! Just, uh, not in GENERAL, up to and including pretty much every facet of my pathetic life, but hey! Who likes a Pollyanna anyway, right? NOT ME, that's who!

And, uh, I thought this would be more of a...SOFT LAUNCH.

Man, you guys really need to clean out your Readers. Heh.

Erin said...

Oh Tessie, how I MISSED YOU. Really, truly. In an entirelY CREEPY WAY that should ALARM YOU. I missed you.

SO! I hated The Time Travelers Wife too. WTF? Does that thing even count as a BOOK? My Dad gave it to me. I tried, tried really hard, to make it work. But I returned it, half-read (well, more like half-unread) and scratching my head at what happened to my Dad, who usually has such great taste in books?

I'm poorer. And sadder. But about the same fatty-wise.

Aggie99 said...

EEEEE!!!! Yea! I noticed on my blog when you changed your profile and created the new blog. I've been eagerly awaiting the first post (creepy? probably but whatev). Welcome back . . .

Anonymous said...

Ahem. My reader is tidy and organized but I had FAITH.

I am much sadder, fatter and poorer, but since I have adopted Tessie's Policy (TM), I don't discuss the second one. Also, why state the obvious.

I had The Time Traveler's Wife as TBR, but now I don't know. How did you feel about Twilight? (**Ducking with an evil grin**)

The Curmudgeon said...

Kept MWT in the reader just in case and HUZZAH, it paid off!

So glad you're back. Hope 2009 brings you back onto the happier curve.

stephanie said...

OK, I just read the post and look, I'm definitely happier, but 2008 pretty much sucked ass in my attempt to GET happy, ya know?

Oh and I am DEFINITELY fatter. :)

S said...

Welcome back! I'm definitely fatter, poorer, and sadder as well!

Swistle said...

I toooooootally still had you in my reader, because I thought if you ever DID write there again, I wanted to be IN THE KNOW. And I wish I'd had a heartrate monitor attached when I saw that there was a new post, because OMG.

I am sadder, I am imperceptibly thinner, I am about the same amount of money.er.

Blondie said...

I had FAITH that you would be back and couldn't take you out of the reader JUST IN CASE... and it was worth it! (And I've already subscribed to this so I don't miss out on any of Tessie's awesome sarcasm!)

I am happier, fatter, and poorer. Whatev, right?

Fannie said...

Blah, blah, delete from feed reader? You assume a level of competence I do not possess. Glad you're back!

Marie Green said...

Poorer, still fat, still trying to be, if not happy, then content, which I think I am about SOME things, but not ALL things...

Tess, I AM SO GLAD YOU ARE BACK.

Christina Schmidt said...

never read the book, sounds kinda dull to me... I would say I am just fat as last year but I am happy (not happier however) and probably richer but that is neither here nor there. Dude, I know I said this a little in the last post as I am reading in reverse order because you know that makes sense...) but I am SO glad you are back. Missed your "voice" in the bloggity blog world!

distracted by genius said...

Glad you're back! I am both sadder & fatter, but cautiously optimistic that the coming year will be better than the previous one and hoping it will be for you too!

Anonymous said...

I am about the same amount of happy, which I think I am not supposed to say since I have a new baby and stuff, but having a baby is HARD. And I am way fatter. Right now I am also richer, but that will change once I have to start paying for daycare because HOLY HELL it is expensive.

Blythe said...

Now that I saw you in my feed reader, I'm at least a little bit happier than I was yesterday. Sorry to send the sap your way, but it's true.

Not sure if I'm happier than last year but I'm definitely less mentally healthy, I'm really hoping that changes soon.

And I'm lukewarm on The Time Traveler's Wife. When people ask me about it, I tell them it's an interesting concept but longer than I can recommend investing in a book that's just "meh" to me.

Mary O said...

I am elated that you are back. MWT never did leave my reader... you know, just in case.
I never got those happier, thinner, richer people either. I mean c'mon... that can happen once in a while, but EVERY YEAR? Pshaw.
Also, I heartily agree with your assesment of The Time Traveler's Wife. I couldn't even finish the book, I hated it so much. And I kept hearing how great it was. Barf.

Banana said...

So, so excited to see Tessie is back!

I'm usually a happier/richer, and always fatter. This year I'm sadder and fatter (surprise!) and actually a decent amount richer. I have a very unique resolution to be f-ing skinnier this time next year. Fingers crossed! Also, hopefully happier (maybe the two will be related?).

lex said...

sadder, fatter, more nervous, but not sure about the richer/poorer thing. i try not to pay attention.

have been avoiding the time travelers wife, and will continue to do so. thank you for that.

Unknown said...

Well, I am HAPPIER because I moved back to Dallas with a better job. But, it counter-balanced with my ass getting wider, my haircut being short and my husband calling me "Butch" rather than Jenn and looking like an old piece of shoe leather in pictures with my dewy-faced three-year-old.

So yeah, there are plenty of negatives to keep the Pollyanna bullshit at bay.

Alice said...

HELLO! HOORAY! YAY!

um, yeah. i opted out of the meme this year because last year i was all pollyfuckingana IN LURRRVE and SO HAPPPYYYYYY and while i'm not actually UNHAPPY right now, i'm also not IN LOVE! with BIRD SONG! and 2 months away from having the LOOOOVE! of my life walk out on me SOOOO hahaha no meme for me.

uh, that was somehow supposed to make you feel better? right. sorry.

SO HAPPY YOU'RE BACK :-)

Anonymous said...

Well damn. I loved that freaking book so f'off! Totally kidding. About the f'ing off. But not the first part. Also I read it while traveling around romantic paris, so that may have contributed. But no, no, actually it is very good writing, SO hard to find in fiction these days.

2008 was a fantastically sad year for me, so there's helping your stats some.

Fiona Picklebottom said...

How could you not like The Time Traveler's Wife? It was so Journeymannish, and by the way, I'm still pissed about that show being canceled.

I have no idea how happy I was this time last year, or how fat I was (though I suspect approximately equal fatness now) or how rich I was (but ditto the fatness thing).

Amanda said...

FIRST I find you're writing again SCORE and THEN I find that you scored my BEST book as your WORST book. How do those two things go together?

mamashine said...

holy hell i have missed you! and i was one who unfortunately DID take you out of my reader, so i had to wait all this time to randomly discover you through a comment on swistle.

I had never met anybody who hated the time traveler's wife, and now i see there are at least six of you in the comments. hmm. LOVED IT. oh well.

Morgan S. said...

I HATED that damn book. It was awful and painful to read.

Yay! I am glad you are back. I am late to party figuring out, but still....YAY!