Let's see, what do I have for you fine people? How about a Thanksgiving Hotdish of Stuff and Things?
*I'm cooking Thanksgiving dinner at my house again this year. I still haven't bought any groceries. So...awesome. Actually, it's probably for the best, since I bought some boursin cheese over the weekend (you know, for the GUESTS), and then Tosc and I went out for Monday Funday, had a few cocktails, and ended up eating the whole wedge with a bag of Cheetos. True story. I'm afraid I really cannot recommend Cheetos as a Cheese Vehicle. Unless it's the powdered variety. Well, we have to be resourceful the grocery-less week of Thanksgiving, now don't we?
*I moved into a new office (my SIXTH office in the 9 years I've been here). It's tiny (wamp), directly across from the breakroom (wamp, wamp), and loud as hell (wamp, wamp, SHUTUP SHUTUP SHUTUP). However. It used to be a physician exam room, and therefore I HAVE MY OWN POTTY. (!!) Living the dream. Just living the dream.
*It seems I never wrote a post about Alaska, did I?
Well, here's a pic. We did about 10 hours of hiking in 2 days in Juneau and Skagway. Tosc pretended to be all for it, but I sensed a little bitterness. Heh.
Speaking of feeling like a caged animal at work, the people who work as hiking guides in Alaska are totally my speed. In fact, all of Alaska suited me quite well. I wish I would have thought of spending college summers as a hiking guide. What an awesome job. Actually, I would STILL like to have that job. It's a low-maintenance, fitnessy drinker's paradise!
Instead I'm...a CPA in TEXAS. Pfft. Well, at least I've got that potty thing going for me.

20 comments:
I DO in fact feel like a caged animal at work sometimes. I'm doing this 'thing' where I have to do at least 10,000 steps everyday and strength training 3x a week. Almost every time I feel like I can slip out to get to the gym for 45 minutes, someone comes to me with a CRISIS THAT NEEDS MY IMMEDIATE ATTENTION! It's making me way more stressed than I ever was just sitting at my desk for 8 hours straight.
I always thought Alaska would be about my speed too. I love the picture.
my friends went on a cruise in alaska that seemed surprisingly awesome. i was like, right... a BOAT... in the FRIGID ARCTIC.. have fun with that. but turns out it was lovely, apparently. alaska! who knew!
Ooh, Alaska! I reeeeally want to go there. In fact I am thinking perhaps we can do the Alaskan cruise thing when Piglet is like 1 or 2. Cruises seem very family-friendly. Not so much with all the hiking, though. Short hikes would be enough for me.
Your own bathroom? AWESOME.
And hiking guide really WOULD be an excellent job. Too late to switch?
I am also in my cage today. BOOO. Something tells me that Hub would never be up for the whole Alaska adventure, and he is too fussypants slash wimpy slash motion sickness inclined for a cruise. Guess I'll save that one for when I'm old and alone!
I have to work tomorrow AND FRIDAY! WTF, workplace?!
Alaskans seem weird to me. But so do Texans, so maybe you are just attracted to places I think are weird.
Good luck with the Thanksgiving shopping/cooking!
Whoo for potties!
Seriously. Awesome.
But...Does it contribute to the caged feeling? Like, you don't even leave your office to PEE.
I am jealous of your own bathroom. Seriously. Some of the offices up here have them (Susan has one...hate her! Hee!) and one day, perhaps twenty years from now, I will have worked my way up from my lowly cubby to an office with a toilet. Yeah, I clearly have lofty goals!
Happy (early) Thanksgiving!
Misty, YES! It totally DOES contribute to the Caged Rat feeling. My office is small, AND I don't even leave it to pee, AND I have to keep my door shut because of the whole breakroom/noise thing. It's claustrophobic! Gah!
good to hear from yoU!
glad you are alive and well!
own potty and everything - you really ARE moving up in the world, huh? *wink*
I would totally kill for my own potty at work. One of the things that keeps me from leaving my current job is the fact that we have an awesome bathroom in which all the stalls are little individual rooms. Deluxe.
At my last job, one of my duties was writing a travelogue for an Alaskan website. It was awesome - a little daydream in the middle of my workday.
Awesome that you get your own bathroom! (Unless you have to clean it.)
If not, AWESOME.
Oooh. I get the caged animal. And I can't really complain (oh, hell, yes I can), since I'm only in the office like 40% of my time. But I feel STUCK there most days. Like I am serving my SENTENCE.
Alaska! Thanks for saying some nice things about it. Seems that since 2008, all you hear about from there is this Sarah person.
Not only does my workplace sometimes feel like I'm serving a sentence (even though I basically highly enjoy the work and my coworkers), I OFTEN drive to work while making lists in my head comparing the ways in which working for a company and living under a totalitarian regime are similar (it's the expectation to be interested in/ learn about people/ politics/ topics that I am simply NOT INTO that does it, I think. That and the requests to rejoice in the existence of our Beloved Leader.)
I think Portland, OR would suit your fitnessy drinking food loving personality, too.
Sounds like the majority of people who live here!
Am now wishing I lived in Alaska as a tour guide. Although maybe not JUST now, since MT weather is completely kicking my ass.
I feel like a caged animal more often at work than is probably good for me. We have a gym in our building, so I don't even have to go outside to exercise, which is both a blessing and a curse. There are significant stretches of time when I don't leave my building for weeks. Sad. Also I live in Portland, OR and while it does have nice fitnessey/drinking/food-loving benefits, one must actually get out of the office to enjoy same. Damn job.
I "work" in my home and it is STILL my dream to have my own private bathroom. One day. One day.
But yeah, it's only TRULY awesome if you don't have to scrub it yourself.
OMG, let's talk offices, shall we? My first office was the former copy/file room, which of course had no window, and when they put up the new walls, the idiots didn't adjust the ceiling vents, so my office was FREEZING, because it was originally calibrated supposed to cool oh, 2000 square feet was now contained in 100. There's no need for me to wonder what it's like to work in a meat locker, because I did it for 3 years! Also, people still "accidentally" came wandering in looking for the executive fax machine. GOOD TIMES.
And at my last workplace, we had a flood and moved across the complex. There were three offices in the new suite, one with a bathroom, which originally my boss was going to take. BUT! It wasn't the corner office and how could his ego survive if the boss was not in the corner office? Do you think he even considered giving me, the pregnant woman the office with my own potty? He didn't even ask. Asshole.
But working in an office where pap smears once took place? You got me beat.
Post a Comment