Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Lame

So, the no-grains, no-dairy thing is going fine. I guess. To be honest, I really don't miss grains, except for corn. True story. I would seriously kill for some tortilla chips right now.

The dairy is another story. I suspect I tolerate it pretty well, actually, but holy hell I had no IDEA how much I was really eating until I tried to stop. Salad dressing! Cheese! Cream! Sour cream! Cream cheese! Pretty much the entire cream-based family! It's like, everytime I think of something I would normally eat, THERE'S THE FUCKING DAIRY. Total buzzkill.

Anyway, this post is exactly the kind of food-related navel-gazing bullshit I can't stand, so I might as well share a lunch photo while I'm at it.

This looks like the bottom of a trash bin, I KNOW, but it actually wasn't half bad. It's my normal salad bar salad, minus the cheese (FML) plus this chicken cacciatore mess they had on the hot bar. I don't know what possessed me to plop that shit on there, especially since it was heavy as hell and therefore pushed my pay-by-weight salad well over two figures. A $10 salad with no cheese. Wow, there's a value.

10 comments:

Jess said...

MAN. I would give up several of my toes before I would give up dairy, I think. I mean, cheese ALONE is worth several toes, no? You are a better woman than I.

d e v a n said...

Oh, man. When I was off dairy I would have killed somebody for some cheese. I feel for ya.

d e v a n said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alice said...

it has been suggested before that i should try going off of dairy. frankly, i'd rather just suffer. :)

JackeeG4glamorous said...

I'll NEVAH give up PIzza - NEVAH!!!!Do you hear me? Sorry, I use big emotions when dealing with pizza cheese and dairy.

Yeah, that's an appetizing looking salad. Might cause me to avoid said salad bar altogether. Jus sayin.

Maggie said...

Last year one of my coworkers developed some kind of dairy intolerance and had to quit dairy. It was unbelievable how many things contained dairy.

I love cheese almost as much as my children so going dairy free short of some life-threatening illness would likely be impossible for me. God damn I love me some dairy.

Shelly said...

I have threatened to committ suicide if I ever became lactose intolerant. I would AT LEAST think about it.

Applesauce said...

Delurking to say that salad is hands down the grossest looking salad I have ever seen!

Anonymous said...

I could give up meat before I'd give up cheese, I think.

I went to the grocery store for lunch the other day to get some chili from the soup bar, and then I realized I had free access to the salad bar, so I topped that chili off with about three cups of shredded cheese and three ladlefuls of sour cream. That's how chili's supposed to be eaten, man! (The cashier looked at me like I was nuts, asking, "What IS this?")

Nowheymama said...

I was going to tell you to come over to my place for dairy-free recipes, but then I realized that most of them have grains. Crap. Still, there might be something useful.