Thursday, December 29, 2011

So, 2011

First, the executive summary: 2011 was a hard, stressful year for me. I'd say it was the hardest year I've had since I got divorced.

I had a lot of work stress, as I lost a trusted employee and hired/trained a new one, all while doing the work of two people on my own.

I had a ton of family stress, mostly related to Tosc's new schedule. I was WOEFULLY unprepared for how that would affect me. I went from seeing Tosc every morning, every evening, and every weekend, to seeing him once every THREE days. Even that I could probably have handled, if not for the INSANITY of his schedule with the kids. Basically, every weekend we had the girls I had at least one day where I was on my own with all 3 kids.

I am going to be completely honest and admit that I have some built-up resentment over this, both towards Tosc and his ex-wife (who is not willing to give up her free time even when she knows that Tosc cannot be with the kids). I also feel the situation affected my time with Ava, which is NOT acceptable to me.

Well, anyway. Things will improve once Tosc finishes his paramedic training, but it's been a major contributor to a pretty shitty year for me (in Tosc's defense, he has committed to take off the daytime hours [6am-6pm, half of his shift] on Saturdays and Sundays we have the girls in 2012).

So, definitely sadder. I miss Tosc and my relationship with him has suffered this year. I don't know that it was my best parenting year, either. I was stressed and frustrated and downright pissed off a lot of the time. Nice.

Furthermore, I am fatter! Which should be a total no-shitter, as everyone knows that I deal with stress by eating and drinking. So incredibly effective, I think we can all agree. I will say that, athletic-performance-wise, I am at least as fit, and definitely stronger, than I was last year. I continue to love working out with my trainer. It's really just my diet that's been crap. Story of my life.

However, I am richer! Yay! I got a raise this year, and Tosc finally sold his house. So things aren't COMPLETELY in the shitter, Debbie Downer.

What else?

Kindergarten has gone unexpectedly well. Ava LOVES her teacher (a fellow Fake Hispanic!), which I guess is all that really matters at her age (in classic fashion, I "endeared" myself early on by declaring her parent-teacher conference schedule "a beating." Sigh). School scheduling continues to be an epic pain in the ass, but that seems to be pretty standard, so at least I've got the misery-loves-company thing going for me.

Carlos and I did not have a completely miserable year. Pretty sad that he gets his own paragraph here, but my dealings with him, unfortunately, affect my life in a significant way ("your addiction [to being an asshole] has affected me negatively in the following ways"...). He even asked me to watch Fussypants Junior a few weeks ago (which I am happy to do anytime). So! Progress! Well, except for the part where he called Christmas Eve drunk as a skunk, wanted to talk to Ava, and when I refused called me a bitch and a whore, but you know. Bright Spots.

Well, there you have it! FTLOG, send me a link to your year-end post, or at a minimum leave me your happier/thinner/richer answers.

See you on First Monday!! Aww yeah, baby. Eye of the Tiger. GET PUMPED.

19 comments:

Misty said...

Sadder/thinner/richer.

I have a feeling 2012 will be the year of happier/thinner/poorer. We shall see if my predictions are correct.

Swistle said...

I was about to launch into a "Maybe TRADING days would work," and then realized that if I could think of that 10 seconds after hearing of the problem, YOU could probably ALSO think of that within 10 seconds.

I loved reading your wrap-up. It's both personal and matter-of-fact---a combination I love.

I'm sadder, fatter, and richer.

Amy said...

Happier/fatter/poorer

-R- said...

happier/thinner/richer WHAT WHAT!

Your summary is so much better than the questionnaire. I'm going to copy you this year. I am hating that godforsaken questionnaire these days.

Lee said...

Well, see, this is why it's nice to document things because in a year you can come back and go, "oh yeah, that WAS crappy. Glad this year wasn't that bad."

Positive outlook! EYE OF THE TIGER (love it)!

Alice said...

i got suckered (...by myself..?) into doing the full questionnaire again this year, but overall same/fatter/richer. i guess that means i'm not the 99%?

Tess said...

Swistle-switching days would be my preferred solution, but Tosc's ex doesn't see it that way. She doesn't feel she should HAVE to switch, i.e. it's "his weekend, his problem".

It frustrates me because it seems like a lose/lose/lose (for the kids & Tosc because they spend less time together, and for me).

And also because I feel forced into this situation by other people's choices, which I hate. But then again, I'm sure the girls' mom feels the same way.

Anne said...

Yep, fatter here too. But sadly, not more fit, or richer. Happy New Year!

Anne

www.allaboutelizabeth-anne.blogspot.com

Robin said...

happier/fatter/poorer
I realize that should not be possible, and yet it is the truth.
Also, Tosc's ex is a pain in the ass, you have my sympathy!

Laura Diniwilk said...

Definitely happier/fatter/poorer (seems like this might be the answer for anyone who had a kid this year?)

http://diniwilks.blogspot.com/2011/12/2011-recap.html

Lisa @ Lisa Moves said...

sadder/fatter/richer. I got 99 problems but at least money (or a bitch) ain't one.

Kate said...

I'm the same/fatter/richer. Full recap of the year is here: http://www.kateo.org/2011/12/29/year-in-review-2011/

Man, that scheduling thing would drive me absolutely NUTS. I hope it works out much better for you in the year to come.

Happy new year!

Nik-Nak said...

Happier (new job)/ thinner (by 13 lbs) (but probably not for much longer)/ and richer (new job again)

Seems like my shitty year took a turn for the better by about October.

I'm sorry about Tosc job situation. It definitely sucks when a job schedule gets in the way of a relationship.
You should write about it more (I only say that because I am selfish and your posts make me laugh).

Maggie said...

I had a baby, so happier/fatter/poorer? Yours is always the best wrap up. Mine is here!

nonsoccermom said...

What a frustrating job/ex situation. Hopefully it gets better soon!

I'm always a sucker for posts like this, here's mine:
http://www.nonsoccermom.com/2011/12/30/2011-in-a-nutshell-kind-of/

Banana said...

This is a hard one for me to answer this year. The first part of the year was shitty (still learning how to co-parent a new-ish kid. Co-parenting has been the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life. It is so frustrating to want to make a particular decision for your child and have your spouse disagree. And then you have to wade through all the reasons why each side is great and why each side sucks until you find a solution that neither of you love. Blerg.) BUT we got better at it throughout the year. And then he had some shitty work stuff come up and things got not great again. It appears I'm using your comment section to get out some pent-up angst! Nice!

Anyhow, on to your question: same/fatter for sure (first Monday I am giving up alcohol and sweets during the month of January and rocking my new fitness routine! Eye of the mother fucking tiger, bitches!)/richer in terms of income, poorer factoring costs (daycare increases).

I am looking at 2012 hopefully and wishing it not to suck.

Jess said...

I have the trifecta this year: happier, thinner, richer. BUT in my defense, last year at this time I was 37 weeks pregnant, so I was enormous, and then I had a baby, which vastly upped my happiness quotient, AND last year Torsten was working for himself and we took a huge loss on his company and this year he and I both have better jobs. So, you know. They're FOR REAL and not just automatic answers. (I always feel like I have to defend the trifecta, because it sounds so SMUG.)

Becky said...

I'm sadder/thinner/poorer.

http://omg-youguys.blogspot.com/2012/01/2011-checklist.html

Sorry about your issues with Tosc's schedule & his ex-wife. My husband's ex is horrible to deal with on anything, so I know your frustration.

Melospiza said...

Sadder, sameish, richer.

Did the full summary for once:http://sparrowtalk.blogspot.com/2012/01/one-of-my-resolutions-should-be-to-post.html

Man, that custody situation pisses ME off. On your behalf, obviously, but if I let myself I start working up a real lather. Bah. Useless commiseration, really.