Well, we ARE going to the lake tonight after Tosc gets through with paramedic school. At TEN PM. So, at least we'll avoid traffic? Pfft. His insane work schedule is totally putting a buzzkill on our summer, I have to tell you. If you've consulted your 2011 firefighter/EMS shift calendar lately, then you know that Tosc has to work a 24-hour shift on Sunday. Which is convenient. So, we're driving out to the lake tonight, then he has to drive BACK home on Saturday night and back to the lake AGAIN on Monday morning. RIDIC.
Well, anyway. Not my problem, as I plan to be fully submerged in my Kindle and a bottle of east Texas blueberry wine for the entirety of the weekend (Ava's out east with Carlos for the week).
Furthermore, Monday's our anniversary! One whole year! As Tosc said, I have officially lasted longer than his first wife! CHRIST. He is so romantical, isn't he?
I sort of like having a July 4th anniversary, in a cheesy way. It's easy to remember, and I'm always off work. I have found myself somewhat...OVERDOING the July 4th decorations and serving platters and festive napkins and shit, though. Not sure what that's about, but I think it has to do with FEEELINGS.
What else? Carlos and I decided to have a joint party for Ava's birthday, at HIS HOUSE. I KNOW. Seems risky, and it IS risky, as it requires us to get along for, like, another THREE WEEKS. If it works out, it could be a huge win, though. I was an ADULT before my parents ever spent more than 10 minutes in the same room, and they divorced when I was SIX. I'll keep you posted. Notice how I SKATE right past this topic so as not to anger the...divorce gods, or whatever. (You better PRAY TO THE GOD of SKINNY PUNKS that this wind doesn't pick up, or I'm coming over there and shoving an oar up your ass!)(Tommy Boy Quote Tourettes)(Totally a Thing).
In other news, it's hotter than Toby's ass here, like 100-degrees-for-weeks-on-end hot, which is completely standard but horrifying nonetheless. Also, expensive. Tis the season for $400 electric bills! Fa la la la la! I love how Texas PRETENDS to be all cheap and reasonable-cost-of-living-y, and then once you're here it bends you right over with the utility thing. "Oh, you wanted to maintain an indoor temperature in the DOUBLE digits? Well, I'm afraid that is a PREMIUM UPGRADE!"
Fucking Texas, blah blah blah. Anyway, I came up with the brilliant(ish) idea to get a toaster oven to keep on our patio, instead of using the oven inside.

Yeah, I know it's not so much a TOASTER oven as it is an...OVEN oven. Obviously I had to get one that could fit a full-sized frozen pizza, otherwise WHAT IS THE POINT?
I call it my "summer kitchen." Just like Little House on the Prairie! With small appliances and frozen convenience foods. Also, an outdoor TV and misters. Whatever. The covered porch is basically a lean-to. If you squint real hard.

19 comments:
Oh, hon. I totally bake outside AND use the crock pot outside in the summertime. For the love of Pete, DON'T HEAT UP THE HOUSE!
I pretty much just don't cook. Problem solved! :)
I'm working today too and it is awfully quiet. I'm hoping to escape early and get in some solo pool time before the family madness of the weekend sets in. I'm jealous of your "downtime" at the lake with wine and your Kindle.
Happy (early) Anniversary!
I'm at work! Hellooooo, down there in Texas! It IS a little echoey in here. Frickin newbie low-vacation time etc etc etc. Some people around here have FIVE WEEKS OF ANNUAL VACATION and I am always trying to get them to "exchange" with me.
Happy anniversary! (And I couldn't help but do the math on Tosc wife number one...they were married less than a year...and had twins? No WONDER the dame's so crabby. Not that that's an excuse.)
Enjoy the lake and the kindle and the wine. Myself, we will be festively painting. The house. Kill me.
The twins were 6 months old when they got married, if that helps. With the math. Heh.
I am also the only person at work because my (expletive deleted) boss gave me an insane deadline on a project while she (and everyone else) went on vacation. So I will be here today until this hellish thing is done. Am so bitter I could power an appliance with white hot anger. Feh.
i am ALSO the only person on earth at work today! there were MORE TOURISTS THAN COMMUTERS on the metro this morning, which is a horrifying state of affairs.
I have to work today. Until 11 p.m. Doing legal research.
My coworkers and I are coping by having a potluck and eating ridiculous foods. Redneck Pickle Dip is my contribution. I'm pretty sure someone else is planning on sneaking a tiny grill and hotdogs past the security desk later tonight.
I just can't even tell you how much I dive like a rude pushy seagull for every crumb of none-of-my-gd-business. Today's was like half a loaf: less than a year; twins were 6 months old; 10 minutes; age 6.
I love the idea of the outdoor toaster oven.
HOLY SCHNIKIES. Are you talking? TB totally is a thing, from which my college friends and I (still) suffer greatly.
Knew I liked you. happy anniv!
oh, love the outside oven idea! Happy anniversary!
LOve the summer kitchen...totally brilliant.
FYI, missy, I took today off, and natch, we're having a monsoon like storm, natch, as EVERY.SINGLE. Time.I take the day off it rains.
so, don't fret your head about other work schmucks taking today off, they are probably in line at the grocery store or the drive through window at the bank behind some guy who has a gazillion NSF's and wouldn't put his pants on to go inside.
Happy Anniversary!
We do "summer hours" which means I put in an extra hour Mon - Thurs, and then leave at noon on Friday. It is awesome. It is a ghost town on Friday afternoons. I love the outdoor toaster oven idea. We're going to have to do that.
Those fireworks? They're totally fireworks OF LOOOOOVVVVVE.
Enjoy the weekend, your blueberry wine, and your anniversary.
(And good luck with the birthday party planning. Very adult of you. Hope it goes smoothly.)
(See how I put that in parentheses? It kept it all quiet-like, on the down-low. Nothing to see here, Divorce Gods!)
The way you write makes me want to come have a glass of that blueberry wine with you. I bet you'd be cracking my shit up all night.
Have fun at the lake!
Happy Anniversary! Have fun at the lake... sounds perfect to me. Let us know if you read anything good. Since getting my Kobo (Cdn Kindle) I read so much more than ever before and I need good recommendations.
I'm in north Texas. Can you tell me about the blueberry wine? Sounds good.
Happy belated anniversary - I can't believe that was a YEAR ago!
If it makes you feel any better, I worked on Friday too.
I love love love when you post!
Please DO keep me updated on the joint birthday party thing - I am curious!
Oh and DUH - happy 1-year anniversary!
Post a Comment