Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Unpopular Opinions

*I hate facial hair on guys

*I don't have a problem with Disney Princesses, or any other commercial character

*I would rather my let my daughter eat unhealthy food than expose her to valuing foods as "good" or "bad"

*I think flowers are a waste of money

*I hate how the Texas Good Ole Boy culture encourages smart people to act dumb, so they will appear to be more "simple" or "country"

*I prefer the following items packaged as opposed to homemade: mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, stuffing, and cranberry sauce

*I don't understand why so many churches place a focus on getting out of debt. Debt is not a moral or religious issue. One person's Debt is another person's Investment

*Breakfast is totally overrated as "the most important meal of the day". Pfft. Most people would do well to eat LESS often, not MORE

22 comments:

Mandy said...

Thank God Mom doesn't read this she would kick you out of the fam.

Alice said...

i don't actively LOVE facial hair on guys, but easily 70% of the guys i've dated have had facial hair. at least it's better than stubble, which hurts to make out with.

does coffee count as "breakfast"? because if so i TOTALLY have breakfast every day.

Blythe said...

There's a version of Good Ole Boy culture in Montana too. (And, I suspect, all over the south and west.) And it drives me up the wall.

Aggie99 said...

I totally agree on the mac and cheese from the package. :)

Interesting you bring up Disney Princesses. I was having a conversation with a friend about this over the weekend and how I would feel if I find out on Monday we're having a girl. I'm undecided at the moment (about the princesses, not if we have a girl!). Personally, soap operas did more damage to me growing up than Disney. :)

The Gori Wife said...

I agree with you on 62.5% of these.

I think in many religions debt/interest/money lending to those around you is considered a moral and religious issue, right? There's the moneylenders in the Christian bible and I know Muslims think paying or charging any interest is wrong.

To add to the list, though: I prefer the cookie part of an Oreo cookie.

Mildly Unstable said...

I've always assumed that the church had an interest in its congregation being debt free so that they had available funds for tithing. No debt? No excuse for not giving to the church...

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more strongly about the breakfast thing, the facial hair, and the classifying foods as "good" and "bad" but I will fight you to the death on the Disney Princesses thing. I have no problem with LITTLE GIRLS liking princesses but grown ass women in Tweety Bird PJs make me want to cry for their sex lives.

Nowheymama said...

* I like my husband's beard

* I have to teach my allergic child that certain foods are bad for her

* I like that you posted this list

-R- said...

But do you teach your child that some foods are healthier than others? Or do you just say that everything is ok in moderation? Or do you just say nothing at all? I am just curious; I don't know what my approach will be. Right now my goal is to just keep my baby from flinging his food across the room.

In case you were wondering, I generally agree with you on facial hair, princesses, flowers, good ole boys, and macaroni and cheese. I think you must make homemade mashed potatoes incorrectly if you like packaged ones better!

I've never heard of a church discussing debt. That strikes me as odd.

Melissa said...

Actually with breakfast its a blood sugar thing. (mind you I never eat it myself)

And as for eating LESS, I agree completely. I got into the habit of eating once a day when I was in my 20's, and it worked great then to keep the weight off, up until my mid-thirties. Now that my metobolism is for shit because of this habit of only eating once a day, I am quite the chubster. I think the key is eating less food, but more times a day.

Jess said...

I agree with you at least partially on every single one of these. However, even though I agree that flowers are a waste of money, I like them and want to have them given to me.

Katy said...

The good food versus bad food thing is blowing my mind.

Anonymous said...

The problem I have with disney princesses is that they totally uninclude ariel in, like, 80% of the stuff. She was my favorite growing up, so I always get this huffy indignant thing going on when I see princess stuff without her and her big, puffy armed, ugly pink dress.

Julienne said...

I'm completely with you on the cranberry sauce. If it doesn't have marks from the inside of the can, it's just not right!

Shelly said...

Ooh, I love this list!

*Agree, but will accept minimal facial hair. Hubby has a mustache and it's never bothered me. In fact, I don't know what he looks like without it.
*Agree
*Agree
*Agree, but like Jess, I want them anyway. I want to be special enough that he will waste money just to buy me something pretty.
*Agree
*Agree, except on mashed potatoes. R must be right, you must be making them wrong. I have a recipe I can send you (I have to have recipes or I cannot cook)
*Agree
*Agree

Jess in Nebraska said...

You are so right about the breakfast deal. the last thing so many of us in our culture needs to be doing is EATING MORE.(written while eating peanut butter M&M's at 8:15 am)
Also, if you're interested, it is biblical to not be in debt....the verse is Romans 13:8, "Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love on another..." That's just one of them...

the new girl said...

I love this list!

LOVE.

I'm going to have to think about some of my more 'unpopular' opinions.

It strikes me as funny, though, that liking princesses is seen (in blogging circles, maybe?) as unpopular, as those little fuckers are UBIQUITOUS in the country at large.

Alias Mother said...

Eh, I'm ambivalent on the princess thing. In theory, they aren't any different from the Princess worship I engaged in and I turned out fine (*twitch*). On the other hand, do we really need princess toothpaste, bedsheets, play sets, flip flops, lamps, headboards, purses, etc. I think it's the EVERYWHEREness of it that kills me. For the record, I feel the same way about Dora. And Sponge Bob. And whatever else.

I'm with you on everything else, except the mashed potatoes. But AMEN to the stuffing. I'll take dehydrated stuffing in a bag over big bread chunks mixed with celery any day.

My only comment on cranberry sauce is that I hate all cranberry sauce ever made, yet every holiday season someone insists it's just because I haven't had THEIR cranberry sauce. No. That's not the problem. I assure you.

LoriD said...

Mmmm... stuffing in a box. I also like grilled cheese better with processed cheese slices than with "real" cheese.

Some people are really adamant about not buying character clothes/shoes/sheets. If it makes my kid happy (which it does), I can't seem to get myself worked up about it.

Swistle said...

I love this post (and the comments it inspired) so much, I don't know what to do. You can picture me jumping up and down in a unsteady circle, wild-eyed, looking like I've taken leave of my senses.

* I don't like facial hair on guys, either, though only ROMANTICALLY speaking. I find it pleasing on professors, principals, grandfathers, character actors; displeasing on anyone trying to sell me something.

* I generally hate all licensed-character stuff until one of my kids becomes smitten with the particular character, at which point I do a 180 and start questing for it and purchasing it. One exception: Hello Kitty, because I loved her even before Elizabeth did. Another exception: SpongeBob SquarePants, because even though I don't mind if the kids watch him, and I know they love him, for some reason I haven't bought even one character item.

* OMG. This is shorting out my circuits. (In a GOOD way.) I love your food talk. I find I retain it and think of it often.

* I think flowers are worth it when I'm in the hospital, because they SO improve the look of the room, and I spend a lot of time gazing at them and appreciating them. I also think I would like them early on (like in the first year) of a romantic relationship. But Paul never gets me flowers, and I'm glad because if he did I'd have trouble not freaking internally about the cost. I only want them from someone whose finances are separate from mine, I guess is the story here.

* I like both kinds of mashed potatoes, both kinds of mac and cheese (but prefer one particular homemade recipe), neither kind of stuffing but boxed if I must, and DEFINITELY canned cranberry sauce. I also like canned green beans, and I don't care WHO knows it.

* Like a previous commenter, I assume the debt thing (including any original inclusions in various holy texts) is to keep the church members financially contributive and also keep the church from having to use resources to help them.

Fay said...

Clearly none of you have ever had REAL stuffing, which is called "dressing" and made in a pan, and cut into squares like brownies. SQUARES OF HEAVEN.

And yeah, even in Weight Watchers they tell you to eat a little breakfast, to kick-start your metabolism. I know that my weight control is better when I eat breakfast. Of course, some people (cough cough JANE cough) don't BELIEVE in metabolism. Those people are high. :)

Katie said...

Like others, I want to hear more about the good/bad food thing. Do you not mention it at all? I think about your Policy all the time and actually employ it fully now. So, now I need the Food Training portion....

I hate the princesses, but yet LOVE them because I know if I buy something with them on it, it buys me a few moments of peace...So, despite hating something I purchase lots of it, which makes me a damn hypocrite and part of the problem with this country.

And I would just fall over and die without breakfast....but I could skip dinner.

And I agree with Swistle facial hair on anyone selling me ANYTHING is particularly disturbing. Just went to about 6 car dealerships and I am still having nightmare about the facial hair on those bastards.