Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Updates

*KinderGate-at the 11th hour, Tosc and his ex-wife decided to enroll his kids in a school near her apartment (different school district). So...yay? Christ, I don't know. I'm also thinking about trying out our neighborhood school for Ava, to see what we think of it. A KinderTrial, if you will. WEARY. SO WEARY of this issue. I still have the Camp Out Day off though, just in case I get all uppity and bourgeois at the last minute. Lord knows I'm moody these days.

*Tosc got the new Verizon iPhone, so I inherited his Droid Incredible, aka BatPhoneReturns. I've never had a smartphone before, and it's a little...stressy. I have my work email on there and shit, and even though I can turn it off, I can still SEE THAT I HAVE WORK EMAIL, and it's just...psychologically uncomfortable. I sort of like to pretend that I exist in an alternate, work-email-free universe when I'm not at work. Slash when I AM at work.

Anyway, Tosc was all, "just wait, soon you won't be able to walk down the street without messing with your phone!" Yes. Yes, I will. I do not have The ADHD, and therefore am capable of standing in line at Chik-fil-a for 2 goddamn minutes without whipping out my phone to see what's been up since I exited my car. Drives. Me. Nuts. He SLEEPS with the damn thing on the bedside table! Ftlog! Is this normal? The moment he opens his eyes, he goes right for his phone! (Me: so, what's the nuclear launch code today, Mr. President?) Honestly. Take it down a notch and do nothing for 2 minutes.

*Lately the girls have been into eating "snapdogs" (natural casing hotdogs)(they SNAP when you bite into them! Gettit?). I have to tell you, I do not look forward to the day they discover the source of the "snap". Especially since one of the twins has a stuffed pig as her lovey. Oh dear. SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE! Ah well. You best have a strong stomach for animal products and mild psychological trauma if you want to survive in this family.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

EWWW on the snapdogs. Why oh why did I have to google about natural casings? Makes me even more confident in my decision to not eat hotdogs.

Nowheymama said...

Well, that behavior is normal for *my* Tosc, that's all I can say. I'm totally stealing your Mr. President line.

Aggie99 said...

I used to be like you as far as the phone and thinking everyone else was crazy and why couldn't they just BE instead of being on the phone. Then Bryan made me get a phone with internet and unlimited texting and well, he will tell you he created a demon. I still say I'm not as bad as most people. BUT I do keep my phone on the night stand and tend to check my email if I get up in the middle of the night. I recognize how ridiculous it is.

I'm thankful I escaped the law firm before I had to get a crackberry. Because I would HATE to have work email staring me in the face.

Keep us posted if you decide to camp out. I would visit you and mock everyone else in line (you know I'm good for such things!).

Anonymous said...

J & I got our first smart phones last month, and I swear the phone salesman thought we were stupid: "You mean I have GPS on this thing?" "I can access the Internet?" Etc., etc. We were all excited the first few days but now I'm back to being annoyed when mine rings. J., however, is overly in love with scheduling every event he plans to attend in his lifetime into the calendar app.

My boss asked me if I wanted a work phone, and I think I startled her with my reaction, which was basically, "HELL EFFING NO." I'm like you, if I know there's a work email waiting for me, I am COMPELLED to respond to it - I can't just let it sit there! (However, when I do respond to work emails outside of work hours, I am super duper pissy about it.)

SLynnRo said...

Oh yes, I'm that girl on my phone. Can't help it.

Swistle said...

I have thought of your kindergarten situation a hundred times since you posted about it. I have twins in kindergarten right now, but they are (1) non-identical and (2) non-same-sex and (3) non-step-sibling-the-same-aged. So I feel like I WANT to contribute reassuring things to the fretful thoughts (which are the sorts of thoughts I so identify with), but I don't know how many, if any, apply to a TOTALLY DIFFERENT SITUATION. BUT. I will say this: that in a school of 175 students, my twins are one of 9 sets of twins. And that the amount of attention paid to their twinniness is negative, since the teachers seem to be overcompensating for the "people tend to compare twins" thing---so that if at a parent-teacher conference we mention the other twin, the teacher YANKS the conversation back to the twin in her class, with way more emphasis than if we had mentioned another sibling. And that most school systems have a policy of separating twins in order to as much as possible keep Twininess out of it. So it seems like if the three girls were in three different classrooms in the same school, probably no one would compare them, or maybe the teachers would compare the identical twins in the lounge, but it seems unlikely they'd compare them to the step-sister. But I don't really KNOW this, because what do I know about twins who are identical, let alone with a step-sibling the same age, let alone in another school system? But my INTENT would be to reassure: to say that in our school system, with our totally different kind of twins, it wouldn't be an issue at all, and everything would be fine. Which means nothing for your school system, your daughter, and your step-twins. RRRRRGG. It's so frustrating to want to reassure, and to FEEL as if I have actual reassurance to provide, and yet not know if my reassurance is IN ANY WAY relevant.

LoriD said...

Homer is wired in all the time. He has his Crackberry AND iPad beside the bed and he checks his emails and texts last thing before going to sleep and first thing when he wakes up. If I have an extra few minutes waiting somewhere, I might pull out my e-reader, or even a crossword puzzle, but never my phone.

d e v a n said...

Dude, after 23 seconds my fingers were twitching.

Kelsey said...

I probably said this before: it might not be easy but you can switch her school at some point if your initial decision isn't working for you. I am not super thrilled with my daughter's kindergarten experience BUT I am falling in love with the school community so I don't think we're going to pull her based on a perfectly adequate but not stupendous first year.

I am keeping in my head that we CAN still make a switch in the future if we also end up being not thrilled with first or second grade.

My guess is that she'll be just fine, or better than fine, in almost any school because of a supportive/educated home environment.

-

Does he use the phone in the bathroom? 'Cause that's where I start to get very concerned. :-)

Nik-Nak said...

I recently got a Droid also. I LOVE it. It's so amazing to me that anytime I want to look up something (That actor's name I forgot, movie showtimes, weather) I can. HOWEVER, I would never get a "work" phone. I like my electronic devices in entertainment mode only. It would be way to stressful for me to have a phone that I know is work related.

-R- said...

I am not a phone addict, and luckily, H does not have a smart phone. I am with you on the "do nothing" idea.

Hopefully the girls don't realize hot dogs are pigs for a long time. But since the girls are related to you and Tosc, they will probably be fine with it! =)

-R- said...

Since I am too lazy to e-mail anyone lately, let me add in a way that is totally unrelated to this post that H is still on his health kick and doing great! The no-gluten thing has made a big difference.

Lee said...

Hahahahahhaaaa SOYLENT GREEN!

And thank you for donothingfor2minutes! I love that!

Saly said...

I don't sleep with my phone, but I use it for entertainment regularly. It has been very helpful in entertaining Liv who hates to sit still. I pull up some kitty videos on the youtube and she is good to go.

I really identify with what Swistle said up there. Bud and Lucy are so close in age and only one grade apart and so it sometimes feels like we have twins. And Lu has the same teacher Bud did last year so when we talk with her, Bud's name usually comes up. I was woried about separating Lu from her brother's legacy, if you will, because he is a very dynamic, smart little boy. Lu who at home is kind of unmotivated, has done well on her own in Kindergarten.

Anyway, I totally get you wanting the girls to be apart at school, and I'm glad it seems to be working (so far!!).

MYSUESTORIES said...

Wow....How the hell do you channel comments from the realm of "Love my phone service..." To " What to do with those pesky children from the previous union?"

I'm thinking you change service on both accounts!


LOL! Love your writing...and happy to see many of your commenter's are some of MY fave blogs!

Maggie said...

My husband and I both have iPhones - got them about the same time two years ago. He obsessively checks his and is constantly on twitter or the internet or some other damned thing. I get on it twice a day or if I get an email (personal, not work - will die or be paid a hell of a lot more before I have work email on something I carry around everywhere) or text I will check it. That's it. I had to put a moratorium on him checking it during family meals because it was either that or I was going to throw it down the garbage disposal. Too extreme?

ANYWAY, the point is, I don't think everyone with a smart phone becomes obsessed.

Katie said...

I failed after about 10 seconds. I sat there wondering if it was a joke. Is this a joke? If I sit here for 2 minutes will a scary jack-in-the-box jump out at me after I'm all calm and relaxed? FAIL!

I swore I'd never be a smart phone addict. And here I am, with it never more than 5 inches from me. Ever. Sad. I am trying to cut back for Lent, I think. Just to torture myself for fun. But I'll probably fail in about 10 seconds with that as well.....

3carnations said...

Yuck. I didn't know those kinds of hot dogs existed.

I am not attached to me phone - I have never even texted. I make calls. And not many of them. I'm also not on Facebook. Shockingly, I blog. Go figure.

3carnations said...

My phone, not "me phone". Lest you think I am Popeye. Egads.